edited March 2009 in MTB buying advice
avid juisy 3s or hayes stroker!!??

Comments

• stroker trail or stroker ryde??
  • sam92
    sam92 Posts: 106
    trail!!
  • Stroker Trail any day of the week.
  • i have the trails. don't have a word against them and the reach adjusters are a really good feature

i havn't really used the Juicy 3s apart from a wee feel on a mates bike, they seem pretty responsive but i havn't used them in riding
  • I put stroker trails on my Trance last year and they've been fantastic. Just one teeny problem when the retaining circlip popped out of the cylinder body and let the lever and pushrod swing away from bars, the cycler and my fingers. It was the front brake, and I was halfway down the Sppoky Woods descent at Glentress. Yikes. We bodged it back together with a couple of knife and a screwdriver and it hasn't budged since.
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Hayes Stroker Trail definatley - try Merlin
  • riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 281
    the stroker trails are very good brakes just dont make the mistake of buying the rydes as they are utter cr@p IMO
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • just a word of warning, IIRC the ones on merlin that are cheap have quite short hoses...
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    riggsy81 wrote:
    the stroker trails are very good brakes just dont make the mistake of buying the rydes as they are utter cr@p IMO

Whats so bad about the rydes?
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • Yeah strokers all the way and the cheap ones are very short from merllin they are short for my 15,5 Handjob well the front is anyway but still graet brakes
  • riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 281
    Rich9 wrote:
    riggsy81 wrote:

Whats so bad about the rydes?

Its just my opinion but I have had nothing but trouble.. there a pain in the @ss to adjust, not very powerful etc

the trails on the other hand a very good infact Im looking at selling my rydes to get trails
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • BoardinBob
    BoardinBob Posts: 697
    Can't speak for the Trails I've got Rydes on my HT and Juicy 3s on the full susser and I'd vote for the Juicys. the noise off the Rydes when it's cold or wet is horrendous. The Juicys have far more modulation and are just as powerful. Setting them up is far easier with the tri-align system
  • Trails are much better than the rydes tho.

Bro has trails on his kona stinky....they're awesome.
  • turbodog
    turbodog Posts: 246
    I got both of them. I would say trail for better level design for my big hands and plenty of modulation power.
  • marinman1
    marinman1 Posts: 262
    have tried both, juicys on my own bike and stoker trails on a few of my mates bikes, i would take the juicys purely for the longer brake lever, but thats personal preferance, on performance they seem almost identical to me
  • turbodog
    I got both of them. I would say trails for better lever design for my big hands and plenty of modulation power.
  • turbodog
    marinman1 wrote:
    have tried both, juicys on my own bike and stoker trails on a few of my mates bikes, i would take the juicys purely for the longer brake lever, but thats personal preferance, on performance they seem almost identical to me

both are powerful but trails has better modulation tho. That is useful for downhill riding.
  • aye, the 3's on my XCR are either on or off.... no modulation.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Good or bad brakes are almost entirely down to setup*. Whether the rotor is in the middle, air in the system, pad wear, pad angle, hose route etc. I've had Juicy 3s that feel fantastic, the ones on my missus bike feel equally fantastic, my Tektro Aurigas still feel fantastic too bizarrely.

I personally like Shimanos for the nice rotor clearance, less arsing around, they can be awkward with certain types of shifter designs though. The Avids are fine though, very tidy little brakes, fit well with any shifters, very easy to find bleed kits for etc.

I could be wrong, as far as I know the biggest difference between Ryde and Trail is the contact size on the pads, I think the trails suffer less from overheating due to this. The piston size is also bigger meaning a bit more power behind them.

*unless you're talking about single piston brakes or something :(