Ultra Torque Compact Chainrings

redddraggon
redddraggon Posts: 10,862
edited March 2009 in Workshop
I've got a UT centaur carbon chainring with the funny Campag BCD (4x110mm and 1x113mm I believe).

My question:

Do the alloy UT compacts take the same funny BCD rings as the UT Carbon compacts?

I reckon buying a alloy UT chainset would be the cheapest way of replacing my rings - both need changing.
I like bikes...

Twitter
Flickr

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Check the spares number on the spares catalogues downloadable from the Campagnolo website to see if they are the same, but I think you'll find they're the same for each groupset.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Check the spares number on the spares catalogues downloadable from the Campagnolo website to see if they are the same, but I think you'll find they're the same for each groupset.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I've got a UT centaur carbon chainring with the funny Campag BCD (4x110mm and 1x113mm I believe).

My question:

Do the alloy UT compacts take the same funny BCD rings as the UT Carbon compacts?

I reckon buying a alloy UT chainset would be the cheapest way of replacing my rings - both need changing.

I'm afraid that the answer is yes! :(
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Nickwill wrote:

My question:

I'm afraid that the answer is yes! :(

That's a good thing, at least for me, means the cheapest way of replacing the rings on my carbon chainset is by getting a cheaper alloy c/set and taking the rings off.

However I posted the same question on weightweenies, and got a contradicting answer to yours, so now I'm confused :?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • nickwill

That's a good thing, at least for me, means the cheapest way of replacing the rings on my carbon chainset is by getting a cheaper alloy c/set and taking the rings off.

However I posted the same question on weightweenies, and got a contradicting answer to yours, so now I'm confused :?

That is my understanding anyway, but it might be as well to get confirmation elsewhere, before making any costly purchases!
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I've got an alloy Centaur ultra torque crankset on my summer bike.Its in the loft though but will measure it tomorrow and post results for you
  • nickwill
    AFAK, it's one bolt which is offset, which causes the problem.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    My Centaur alloy Ultratorque chainset has the one offset bolt, i.e. the bolt that goes into the crank arm. Whether this is the same PCD as on the carbon cranks, I know not!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,166
    Are you saying that it's not possible to buy individual rings or that they cost more than the all chainset?
    Or again that you don't find them on the usual suspects (wiggle etc... )?

I am surprised, any LBS dealing with Campagnolo should be able to get the rings... I assume
    left the forum March 2023
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,166
    Are you saying that it's not possible to buy individual rings or that they cost more than the all chainset?
    Or again that you don't find them on the usual suspects (wiggle etc... )?

I am surprised, any LBS dealing with Campagnolo should be able to get the rings... I assume
    left the forum March 2023
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I measured my crankset and the holes measure approx 65mm and the top one that bolts to the crank is about 68mm.
    These were measured centre to centre
    I hope that helps.