New chainset?

cjcp
cjcp Posts: 13,345
edited March 2009 in The workshop
The chainset on my commuter has done about 11,500 miles. The teeth on the outer ring are looking a tad sharp - see the first two pictures below, while the thrid picture is one of a spare, barely used chainset I've got against the existing chainset. I think teeth that sharp aren't going to be kind to a new chain. Anyone disagree?

Cheers

3317497954_10ddfb2706_m.jpg

3317497962_cd4d6f6226_m.jpg

3317497964_c9c5b96dc4_m.jpg
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    I'd certainly want to replace the rings on that.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    maybe just the big ring.

the middle does not look that bad. if used!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I always regard anyone who wears out the big ring before the little ring as a bit of an animal! :wink::D
    AT MY AGE, I SHOULD KNOW BETTER !!!
  • I had the problem with a set of Race Face Cadence cranks that the rings never got discounted at around £70 for the pair but at the moment you can buy the complete chainset for less than £50! nice bit of kit for the money too. Well worth looking into the prices if you do change though, and I'd suggest sorting the rings out and question your cassette before you end up buying numerous chains.
  • cjcp
    Thanks chaps. I was hoping the two resident techy gurus would respond. :D

@Nicklouse- middle ring?! :wink::) It's the 39 and, yep, it's rarely used: only when the chain hops onto it when I put pressure on the pedals when I'm in 21-25 sprockets. It's also unhappy down at the 12 and 13 now - that grinding sound - so the gears need a tune, but I think the chainset and cassette have seen better days.

@barrybaines - I was ooking at this! :) Do these come with the BB? The BR review on Wiggle says yes, but the spec isn't clear (unless I've missed something). Can you use these with existing Ultegra BBs? The BB review says you can, so is it right to assume the reverse?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • barrybaines
    barrybaines Posts: 273
    I believe they come with the BB yes, as for compatability with Shimano I have used one with a 105 BB so you should be fine.
  • cjcp
    Cheers! :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."