Reba rebound setting?

Whytepeak
Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
edited March 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Just out of interest, the rebound on my rebas is a lot slower than that of the marzzochis, why is this, and will it speed up given time?
Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not sure if it was fixed on the Marzocchi (some have an internal adjuster) - however you can alter the oil weight to tune it.

The Reba of course has the adjuster on the bottom of the right leg.
  • Whytepeak
    Both are adjustable, but on their 'fastest' rebound seting, the reba feels slow in comparison - but i've yet to feel the fork going down on successive bumps :?
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You are not going to get ecactly the same response curve/envolope for the two models. The spring rate as well as how much of your own weigh is over the fork can effect rebound speed for certain hits.

As long as you can get a setting with both what you like is the main thing.

Nothing to worry about ;-)
  • Which Reba?

The 2009 Reba Team has the BlackBox rebound damper piston, which has a high speed shim stack. The rebound you will mostly see from bouncing the fork will be the slow speed and this might well appear to be slow.

Other possible explanation if the fork lacks plushness could be that the foam rings have dried out.

Last thought is that the RockShox Dual Air spring allows you to fine tune the negative spring rate and this can be very visible in how the fork responds in rebound situations.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Were the Marzocchis coil spring forks that could explain the difference

A good test of your rebound is to find a flight of steps and ride down trying different rebound settings too much rebound damping and the forks wont be able to return to full travel after a few steps and it will feel like your fork has locked

Too little rebound damping and the bike will be bouncing around everywhere and be really hard to steer.

Start with the rebound in the middle and just adjust it a little bit at a time till you find a setting that feels right
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Whytepeak
    Reba sl - so motion control, although i might back off the pressure in the negative air chamber a bit - currently equal + and - air pressures.
    Both forks are air sprung,
    Out of concern and interest, when compressed with force, the marzocchis make a clicking sound 3/4 of the way through the travel - any thoughts, as its been like that since i last had the forks seviced.