BB and cranks-advice needed.

l00cas
l00cas Posts: 75
edited February 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,
Needed an 83mm BB- found the FUNN HOOKA DH BB which was within price range and stupidly ordered one because now Im worried they will only work with FUNN HOOKA DH cranks? which are £150 squids or something :shock: which I cant afford for the life of me. I just wanna get my new frame rideable yet I cant seem to find anything! So does anyone know of some cranks around £40 that will work with the funn hooka bb or will i need to send it back and get something different? If so, what should I get? Im looking to spend like £75 in total? Tall order I know but im desperate to get my bike going =(.

any help much appreciated
L

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so what cranks have you got?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • l00cas
    not sure, they came with the bike, dont say anything on them, but eveything else is shimano.
  • nicklouse
    if they are what i think you said in another post.

No they can not even attach to that bb as there is no axle.

you need an HT2 or a X type crankset for an 83mm bb.
    not a 68/73mm one as the axle will not be long enough.

IIRC your shimano cranks are square taper and there are no suitable bb out there.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse
  • l00cas
    Yeah sorry Im not talking about the race face convertors anymore because I realised they were no use at all.

I know they wont fit, im not gonna be using those cranks. Does anyone know if the spindle with the Funn hooka crankset is specific to the Funn hooka dh bb or will other spindle cranks fit?
  • nicklouse
    it is HT2/X type diameter.

but what cranks are you wanting to use?
  • l00cas
    Any really because my budget is so tight, im looking at a kind of temporary set up just because I want to get out on it asap. So yeah any really, im not bothered if they are aimed at xc actually either, as long as theyll see me through to the summer break when Ill have more cash =) would the azonic 454 cranks work with the funn hooka bb for instance?
  • nicklouse
    azonic 454 cranks No,

they are not HT2 or X type!

this is going to be about your cheapest option. as there are not many out there for a 83mm bb shell.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=6028
  • l00cas
    Lol sorry, im not even sure what they are but nevermind.

cant afford them =(

azonic 454 bb's seem to be discontinued, are they the only bb's that will accept the 454 cranks?
  • nicklouse
    well get looking for second hand 83mm bb cranks that work with an HT2 or X-type bb system.

forget the 454 they will not ! fit the bb and 2 there are no suitable axles for those cranks to work with a 83mm bb shell.

send the bb back and get an ISIS bb and some ISIS cranks.

bearings wont last as long but it will cost you less.
  • nicklouse
  • l00cas
    I think ill look for some x type cranks to work with the bb i ordered first. there are some second hand raceface evolve xc cranks on ebay, theyre xtype fitment arent they? There are some raceface evolve dh cranks on pinkbike too.

cheers btw
  • nicklouse
    yes just make sure they have the 83mm axle as if they are the 68/73 they will not work.
  • l00cas
    ok cheers.