Identify My Frame?

cleeve hill reject
cleeve hill reject Posts: 426
edited March 2009 in Workshop
Hi, I'm trying to identify the frame on a bike I've bought, Its a Orange and Black/Carbon Carbon frame which the previous owner told me is 2004/05 vintage, it has full 7800 Dura Ace and Gipiemme T-Quatro 24s Race Team wheels. However, the frame has no markings on it! It has a serial number under the bottom bracket which is RL-56-0041, presumably the 56 is the size, can anyone help? It did have a Giant bottle cage on it, maybe it is a Giant with stickers removed? If someone explains how I can put some pictures of it up. Thanks!

exercise.png

Comments

• Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    If someone explains how I can put some pictures of it up. Thanks!
    Instructions here.
    :)
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    if you email the pics ti reggiegasket [at] yahoo.co.uk then I'll post them up
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Here are some pictures of it, I hope someone recognises what it is!

3316270481_a3cf7e667e.jpg
    3316270323_6cdcc90a58.jpg
    3317096832_30b24ced07.jpg
    3317096938_7e6e7272f5.jpg

exercise.png
  • pbracing
    pbracing Posts: 231
    I would say giant because of the way the seat stays come so low to the seat post. I'm not sure if they were doing the ultra compact top tubes by then though? Which this doesn't have.
    Have I won a prize? :wink:
    Why not? My bikes.
    Summer & dry days
    http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47 ... /Trek1.jpg

Wet winter days & going the shops runaround
    http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47 ... rello1.jpg
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    There's absolutely no way that's a Giant. No idea what it is though...
  • Thats an odd one strange gusset work, looks nice though!
  • I'd date a frame like that from around 1997-1999. In those ancient times, a lot of carbon frames had separate coarse-weave tubes which were bonded onto internal aluminium lugs and then a filler was applied around the joint to give a slightly more aero/smooth look - trying to give a monocoque appearance. These joints were hidden with paint, while the central part of the tube got a clear-coat over the weave. Apart from the lowered wishbone part of the seat-stay, it looks very similar to an Ambrosio Stelvio frame I bought in '98. (Actually the seat stay assembly itself looks identical) Ambrosio don't make their own components but just source and 'badge up' generic stuff. I'd imagine this frame is quite flexy compared to present day offerings. Sorry to say this, but I don't think you've picked up a thing of great rarity or sought afterness. :( My Ambrosio only got me 90 quid on eBay :(:(
  • Surely a quick flick of the tubes will confirm if it is full carbon or gusseted?
  • Nelson, what you're saying sounds right, however the joins between tubes appear to be hollow from the sound they make when they are tapped, having never owned a carbon frame before I'm not sure what a monocoque would sound like though. Would a 1 1/8" headset fit with it being a 97-99 era frame?

exercise.png
  • I've just taken the stem off to check, it's actually a 1" headset with a shim to fit a 1 1/8" stem, so you're probably right Nelson. Not happy with the guy who sold it to me as just over 4 years old though!

exercise.png
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I've just taken the stem off to check, it's actually a 1" headset with a shim to fit a 1 1/8" stem, so you're probably right Nelson. Not happy with the guy who sold it to me as just over 4 years old though!

Seems to me that 1" steerers all but disapeared on road bikes after around '98-'99. So yes, I think your seller is feeding you a line of bull. :evil:
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    It looks a bit like an early Kestrel but I can not find any pics of those to compare.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I reckon John has nailed it :

http://www.duathlon.com/data/classified ... s/6120.jpg

This one is about 1998 - so someone was either mistaken - or a fibber....
  • Believe me, CHR's frame ain't a Kestrel (EMS200)! A chum of mine had one of those when we rode together in the late 90's, and they were pretty classy frames. Had very smooth, flowing lines. If you examine the rear of the seat-tube (on the Kestrel), you'll notice it's cut out to bring the rear wheel further forward - and it had a stupidly tight clearance. The seatstay on cleeve hill's frame is relatively crudely mitred and joined to the seat-tube, whereas on the Kestrel it swoops majestically at the join giving the appearance of one-piece constuction (which it might have been). The Kestrel also had a very slightly downward sloping top-tube which you can't make out in the picture, and I'm almost certain they were all fully painted. CycleSurgery in the EastEnd of London used to sell'em. Blimey, it''s amazing what you can remember.

CHR's frame is a Kestrel EMS200 wannabe! Getting closer though..
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think you're right - V similar though - but the rear triangle looks different too :

http://www.ridefetish.com/bike/show/31
  • Yeah, similar style but not the same, given me agood idea of the age though, thanks for the help!

exercise.png
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I was thinking of an earlier model than the EMS200. Nearer 1995 time. Long time since I saw one though. If it rides well it does not really matter though.
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    It doesn't look like any Kestrel I've ever seen, nor the earlier 4000 model Kestrel.

Just a guess, but could it be an Aegis or something like that?
    And I thought the first giant bikes were all compact. Hell, they 'invented' compact. :?

Sorry to say this, but it looks older than 2004.

Did those pedals come with the bike or are they yours?
  • justresting
    justresting Posts: 292
    will the age affect the strength/safety of the frame ? tbh if it doesn't I think its a lovely bike.
    ' From the sharks in the penthouse,
    to the rats in the basement,
    its not that far '
  • I put the ancient Look pedals on myself to match the white themed kit I've put on it. Rides nicely, stiffer and lighter than the Aluminum Fondriest I was riding before, not convinced I like the orange paintjob, doesn't quite work with my blue club kit!

exercise.png
  • justresting
    justresting Posts: 292
    I put the ancient Look pedals on myself to match the white themed kit I've put on it. Rides nicely, stiffer and lighter than the Aluminum Fondriest I was riding before, not convinced I like the orange paintjob, doesn't quite work with my blue club kit!

orange & blue are opposite each other on the artists colour wheel, and are therefore complementary so couldn't be better.
    ' From the sharks in the penthouse,
    to the rats in the basement,
    its not that far '
  • Anybody want to hazard a guess at a valuation to see if I've been completely mugged? Answers on the back of a postcard please!

exercise.png
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I think it's really nice looking and unusual. If it rides well then great, though if the previous owner has been bullshitting you you might want to get it professionally looked at in case it's been crashed etc.