Those tesco torches are back in (+ a new one)

downfader
downfader Posts: 3,686
edited February 2009 in The bottom bracket
One of our local tesco's (southampton on the same shopping estate as staples and halfords in the city center) has got the 3w torches back in stock. I also noticed a new torch by them that I hadnt seen before: 3w too, but takes 2x AA instead.

Looks like the fenix but with simple on and off. I bought two but noticed some are different - one is blue the other more yellow with the latter having a brighter spot. The lenses appear different. About £7.80 iirc so not a big amount.

Just thought I'd pass that on. Gonna try and mount these on the bike somehow.

Comments

• pbracing
    pbracing Posts: 231
    I got the AA one £8. I'd read so many posts (and written a few) about lights for unlit roads, I just bought it to try. On country lanes and pitch black it's great. Ok so when you're doing 30mph down hill there's a bit of hope that there are no half bricks in the road, but that just makes the ride more fun. I even got flashed by a car driver in town to dim it :)

I've got it fixed with just 2 releasable cable ties, that way it's easy to raise and lower the beam. It doesn't shake or move when riding. Well pleased.
    I'll try and put a pic up of the mounting.
    Why not? My bikes.
    Summer & dry days
    http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47 ... /Trek1.jpg

Wet winter days & going the shops runaround
    http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47 ... rello1.jpg
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Unless this is a different AA version, it's not a new product. The torch that most of us were raving about a few months ago was the AA version which started at £10 and is now something like £7.61 because of a discount and the VAT adjustment.

It's an absolute steal at that price though. I have 2 on my bars and one on my helmet whenever I ride in the dark and they're VERY bright.

By the way, since they come with batteries fitted you can test them instore to make sure you get one of the brighter ones. Just unscrew the end with the switch and slip out the plastic disc to complete the circuit. I've had some very funny looks in Tesco as I spent a quarter of an hour testing all the torches they had in stock. :)

Matthew
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Unless this is a different AA version, it's not a new product. The torch that most of us were raving about a few months ago was the AA version which started at £10 and is now something like £7.61 because of a discount and the VAT adjustment.

It's an absolute steal at that price though. I have 2 on my bars and one on my helmet whenever I ride in the dark and they're VERY bright.

By the way, since they come with batteries fitted you can test them instore to make sure you get one of the brighter ones. Just unscrew the end with the switch and slip out the plastic disc to complete the circuit. I've had some very funny looks in Tesco as I spent a quarter of an hour testing all the torches they had in stock. :)

Matthew

I had assumed the one with the old A size battery was the one most were talking about tbh as I hadnt seen the AA until today.

Yep I tested mine instore. Only problem is that the store is lit up and is not 100% ideal a situation for finding out how they perform. :lol: All I did was blind my Brother. :lol: