Santa Cruz Heckler or Blur LT?

Dick Scruttock
Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
edited March 2009 in MTB buying advice
I am currently in the market for a new full suspension frame to replace my trusty old Specialized FSR with. I am looking at the santa cruz heckler and blur lt at the moment. I am swayed towards the heckler for its more simple design with less pivots but wondered what peoples opinions were on them?

Also can i ask what sort of weight each one works out at around built up?

Comments

• Sorry should have been a bit more specific. I ride mostly XC.
  • I tried a 2006 or 2007 Blur LT - was ace for downhill, but uphill the suspension didn't work well - it seemed to do nothing on smaller stuff, then when you hit a bump big enough to move the shock, it used up loads. Others describe it as a 'breaking through ice' feel - sums it up really. The Heckler would be my choice, I haven't ridden one but ride an Orange Five, so as you'd expect, I reckon single pivot works - my Five has no pedal bob to speak of, whereas the Blur LT, which was set up by Santa Cruz, still had pedal bob, even though the design's main selling point is that it's supposed to get rid of it.

Don't know about weights though - fork choice makes a big difference.
  • Thanks, initially i will be fitting my fox talas forks and might upgrade them at a later date.
  • TALAS forks are pretty light if they're the normal QR or the new 15mm axle versions.
    They weight aprox 4lbs ish, some forks can be 6 or 7.
    I'm not obsessive about weight, I like stuff to be strong & work smoothly, if it's lightish as well then great.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I tried a 2006 or 2007 Blur LT - was ace for downhill, but uphill the suspension didn't work well - it seemed to do nothing on smaller stuff, then when you hit a bump big enough to move the shock, it used up loads. Others describe it as a 'breaking through ice' feel - sums it up really. The Heckler would be my choice, I haven't ridden one but ride an Orange Five, so as you'd expect, I reckon single pivot works - my Five has no pedal bob to speak of, whereas the Blur LT, which was set up by Santa Cruz, still had pedal bob, even though the design's main selling point is that it's supposed to get rid of it.

Don't know about weights though - fork choice makes a big difference.

I think the VPP 2 has improved the suspension quite a lot for the new models. Gau Kesteven is very complimentary
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/blur-lt-08-31093

The Heckler is the simpler, cheaper and slighly burlier option.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • BlackSpur wrote:
    I think the VPP 2 has improved the suspension quite a lot for the new models. Gau Kesteven is very complimentary
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/blur-lt-08-31093

The Heckler is the simpler, cheaper and slighly burlier option.

Could be - no reason why they couldn't do what they like with the suspension action. I'd still go for single pivot - haven't seen anything that works better yet. Seems to me that simpler, cheaper and burlier can still work better sometimes. As long as the pivot's in a good place, it all works fine.
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    How about the superlight as another option it's one im currently mulling over, it has a huge following in the us and many love it.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I loved the new Blur LT, I demo'd a 2009 one. Fairly middle-high range spec on it, new '09 Revelations (which felt fantastic, better than the 32 Talas I tried imo), Hope wheels laced to Nevegals, X9/X0 etc. Really enjoyed it, it felt a lot more solid than my Meta, quite a bit more efficient and light. Less confidence inspiring and playful though. Truth be known, out of all the bikes I demo'd it was the closest to the Meta which is probably why I got on with it.*

If my Meta was hideously broken in a plane crash it would definitely be high on my list of replacement frames. Crazy price though in my opinion, considering I could buy a full top of the range Meta for the price of theBlur frame.

*out of Bionicon Edison (which I thought was silly), Niner Jet 9 (which was very slippy, front wheel skids are exciting), Specialized Enduro (really liked but a bit too sensible and well controlled for me) and the Blur.
  • Dick Scruttock
    Thanks for the advice people. Went to have a look at them both yesterday and was quite shocked by the weights of them. Expected the blur lt and the heckler to both be a little heavier than they were.

I am tempted by the simplicity of the heckler and have been leaning towards that a little.

What do people think shock wise, would you stick with the float r or go for a rp23? I like the idea of the lockout option like i have on my fsr but someone said yesterday that the float r road well and they did not feel the need for a lockout lever?
  • Hi.
    I have over the past three years owned a Heckler,BLT mk1 and now a BLT mk 2. Yes the mk2 has done away with what very little "bob" there was on the mk1 to the point that i would not pay the extra for a RP23 , you don't need it. When i first built up the mk2 it weighed 27.5 lb (no pedals) The Heckler is a very good frame and yes a bit tougher, it does not have the advantage of VPP (axle path ect) but it does only have one pivot to look after, and is a lot cheaper. You won't be disappointed with either ...enjoy
    johnboyrides
  • Dick Scruttock
    So is it pretty much down to personal preference then? Or would people say that one was a bit better for XC use?
  • Sikora
    Sikora Posts: 519
    What about a Blur XC?
  • Dick Scruttock
    TBH i was looking for something with around 130-140mm of rear wheel travel.
  • Dick Scruttock
    I bought a anodized black Heckler in the end with a RP23 rear shock. Ride is fantastic and the travel seems so much more supple than my old bike.
  • gbrnole
    gbrnole Posts: 395
    I went from the 07 fsr comp to the new heckler - stop racking your brain and buy the heckler its an awesome bike. Pikes up front, 28.4lbs in the large size. I still regret selling it.

Get the rp23 upgrade, absolutely minimal pedal bob, if any.
    Ibis Mojo SL-r
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Test them. That is really the only way to decide how the sus performs. The VPP varies the pivot point and axle path through the stroke. It can have benefits - for some.

Heckler is, as is the orange 5 and many other bikes a forward high single pivot full suss. The shock and geo make the difference. No magic, no marketing nonsense here - a plain and straight forward single pivot bike.
  • Dick Scruttock
    alex.hulme wrote:
    I went from the 07 fsr comp to the new heckler - stop racking your brain and buy the heckler its an awesome bike. Pikes up front, 28.4lbs in the large size. I still regret selling it.

Get the rp23 upgrade, absolutely minimal pedal bob, if any.

I did, i bought a Heckler with a RP23. Its so nice to ride, feels great to ride, you really notice the extra travel over my old fsr.
  • I'm stuck between these two bikes at the moment too. I haven't tried them out yet but I noticed that the Heckler has less standover height than the Blur - out of interest, did you notice much difference when you tested them?