OLD 120/130

Simonb256
Simonb256 Posts: 880
edited February 2009 in Workshop
Hi all,

Im currently awaiting to order a new rear hub thats a bit special.

The only issue is that it will be first released as 120mm OLD.

Should I assume that this means that I would need to get a compatible frame?. (Yes, I am building a new bike around this hub), if so what kind of frame would I be looking at? SS,or something old school?

Also utter long shot but would I somehow be able to botch the remaining 10mm?? Though I really probably shouldnt botch it...
"War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength." George Orwell - 1984

Comments

• Track and 5-speed frames have 120mm OLD. 7 speeds are 126mm so, if it was steel, could be squeezed or cold-set narrower.

If the axle is long enough then you could just space it out with washers. Might not be what you want to do with a very nice hub though.
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    What Dinosaur said. I've heard of people DIY'ing cold-setting but I think it's best left to a frame builder unless you want your wheel to end up wonky (which may somewhat negate the benefit of your 'special' hub).

I'm intrigued though. What hub is so special that you're not too bothered about the frame it's attached to?
  • El Gordo wrote:
    I'm intrigued though. What hub is so special that you're not too bothered about the frame it's attached to?

OK I was a bit vague,

Im desperatly awaiting the Sturmey Archer S3X (3 speed fixed) to come out but they seem set on it only being 120mm, where as ideally I'd want it as 135mm (which will never happen, though they will release a 130mm supposedly).

It was going to be a kind of prat about/play bike.

It's not really that i dont care what frame, but I wasnt aware what frame and Im indifferent what it is, as long as I can comfortably use it as an all day bike.

I would of love to have been able to take it off road etc, but that dream seems to still be just that 'a dream' and will be for a while.
    "War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength." George Orwell - 1984
  • you either want a modern track frame or ss frame such as an On one pompino, Pearson hanzo or touche, cotic roadrat? or a dolan etc... there are loads out there, or get an older 5 speed or 10 speed as they call them just to confuse every one (2 on front 5 at rear) you get the idea. Basically any frame with 120mm spacing either old or new will do fine but i wouldn't botch it, you want a nice frame for a nice hub don't you :D
    Carbon fibre, it's all nonsense. Drink beer. Ride a steel bike. Don't be a ponce.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    You will also need some way of adjusting chain tension so a proper single speed with horizontal drop outs would be your best bet. This would be 120mm OLN.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Go for a 120mm Pompino. Cheap as chips, and it will probably annoy Alex.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    What they said - but watch out for the 135 rear Pompinos - and I don't think Roadrats are 120.

For a rarity (and presumably an expensive one) like the new SA Fixed, I reckon even I'd flash out on a NICE old frame!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • and I don't think Roadrats are 120.

yeah i wasn't sure, in fact thinking about it of course they arent because you can run gears with!
    Carbon fibre, it's all nonsense. Drink beer. Ride a steel bike. Don't be a ponce.
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    You need to get a track or fixie frame. You can pick On One Pompinos up fairly cheaply, and Langsters come up on ofer from time to time ( a few of us have them when Pearson's did a 99 quid offer). I even have an old 531 competition super-stiff, tight clearance TT frame in 1290mm gathering dust - I used it a s a pub bike fixie for a while before I got the Langster frame. It's about a 56cm with a short headtube, make me an offer if ytou're interested, it's tatty stealth matt black at present!