Training when you're ill

endurojcb
endurojcb Posts: 170
edited February 2009 in Health, fitness & training
Does anyone have any advice about training when you've got a cold?

I've had one for a week now (a guy at work has had the cough for 3 weeks now). I haven't trained for the week either, but I need to get back into it but don't want to end up with a full on chest or sinus infection.

I have a nice bunged up nose and tickly cough to go with it but don't really know what I should and shouldn't do. If I do anything it'll be in the gym so it'll be warm-ish compared to outside so can I / Should I push myself or just wait for it all to pass??
2007 Merlin Malt 4

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Bit of fresh air can be good if its a cold. Butt don't overdo, and if it is a flu or chest infection I would wait until it has cleared.

Plus I think bein in a gym isn't fair on the others lol, warm recirculated air and they'll all get it ;-)
  • Yeah, that's true. I'll stay out of there for a bit I think.
    2007 Merlin Malt 4
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I tend to train "through" it unless it gets really bad.

Have often madeself iller though so maybe ignore me!

Best one is when having a cold approach, go for a Winter surf - that really makes it MUCH worse! :oops:
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    EnduroJCB wrote:
    Does anyone have any advice about training when you've got a cold?
    The old chestnut about it being OK if it's just a head cold seems to work for me. If it's any help I once ignored this advice and went for a road ride to try and clear a persistent cough :roll:

When I got back the cough was 10x worse and I had to cough all the way to the docs for some antibiotics.
  • No is the only answer.

To ride when you are ill is a dangerous thing to do. The fitter you are the more at risk you become.

When I was 15 a guy in my Cycling club went out for a ride when he had a cold, not to train, just for a ride. 6 weeks later he was dead from pneumonia.