Recovery rides vs. walking

finchy
finchy Posts: 6,686
Hi everyone,

I do a few very intensive training sessions every week, but at work I have to walk around a lot. This seems to have a very similar effect to doing a recovery ride. After walking for about an hour my legs feel fine again.

So is walking a good substitute for recovery rides?

Comments

• slunker
    slunker Posts: 346
    I agree, after a hard session I take the dog a good hours walk and feel good after it.
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    I think walking is one of the most overlooked excersises. It really helps your back, and can help any pulled muscles aquired from riding.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    I put in three hard sessions over the weekend before taking yesterday off the bike.

I got up early to get half an hour on the turbo before work and my legs felt disassociated to my body and my hr was no-where.

But the stiffness and soreness has gone from my legs and I feel ready to train hard again tomorrow.

So there is a benefit to recovering on the bike too in my instance.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Never tried walking, i'll give it a go!

On my rest day (for any given week), I usually cycle at a very slow pace to the gym and do some very light swimming followed by loads of stretching in the sauna and have a relaxing jaccuzzi! Works wonders!
  • 320DMsport
    320DMsport Posts: 306
    I walk my dog twice a day, if i've had a long ride during the day and my legs are feeling it they always feel better and back to normal after a walk.

Also do 30 mins easy spin on the turbo which seems to do the same.