Routes near Center Parcs in Sherwood Forest?

Todd Sweeney
Todd Sweeney Posts: 117
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
Hello all,

I'm off to Center Parcs in Sherwood Forest with my family for a few days next week, and I was wondering whether it was worth taking my road bike to try and sneak a quick ride or two in while I'm there. Anyone know of any good routes round there?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Just a friendly warning... Bike thieves are apparently now breaking into the grounds and looking out for nice spec bikes brought in by families.

It might be safer to hire out a mongoose, like I'm going to do at Longleat in a month's time, at £22 for the weekend (plus lock hire)... unless you have good insurance and would happily claim for a new '09 model of your road bike!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Or you could do what I did and kept my bike in the lodge.

Haven't done this ride before, but it should give you an idea of routes available http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/home/traffic_and_travel/traffictravel-cycling/bikeride/tt-greatnottsbikerideroute.htm#100mileride
  • garmin
    garmin Posts: 31
    I KNOW LOADS, DEPENDS ON HOW FAR YOU WANT TO GO.COULD EVEN MEET YOU FOR A RIDE IF YOU WANT TO.
    Litespeed Vela
    Dawes giro 400 [winter bike]
    Diamondback S3 full sus

no pain no gain.
  • Thanks for the advice all! I'm actually taking my heavy old commuting hack bike already to tow the kids round in a trailer, maybe I'll just leave my nice road bike at home and have a poodle round the lanes nearby on that if I get an hour or 2 to myself. I'm riding the Tour of Flanders sportive at the beginning of April so I really do need to start getting some proper training in sharpish!

Garmin - thanks for the offer! I'll let you know if I get a chance to go out.
  • In case you didn't know, Sherwood's Centre Parcs has access to Sherwood Pines Forest Park with plenty of family friendly tracks and miles of singletrack (some marked out, some not). There is also a decent bike shop at the visitor centre. Also, there are no quiet roads directly accessable from Centre Parks. Hope this helps!
  • hammerite
    Thanks for the advice all! I'm actually taking my heavy old commuting hack bike already to tow the kids round in a trailer, maybe I'll just leave my nice road bike at home and have a poodle round the lanes nearby on that if I get an hour or 2 to myself. I'm riding the Tour of Flanders sportive at the beginning of April so I really do need to start getting some proper training in sharpish!

Garmin - thanks for the offer! I'll let you know if I get a chance to go out.

and as if by magic this months Cycling Plus has a 30 mile route that goes right past Sherwood Pines by the look of it.
  • just for interest ...

when did Sherwood Forest become Sherwood Pines Forest Park ?

I first went there with my Grandfather when I was 8 yo (whisper , that was in 1952) when the Major Oak was still a live tree that we kids could hide inside. Last time I went the Oak was propped up by acroprops and completely fenced off.
  • hammerite
    just for interest ...

when did Sherwood Forest become Sherwood Pines Forest Park ?

I first went there with my Grandfather when I was 8 yo (whisper , that was in 1952) when the Major Oak was still a live tree that we kids could hide inside. Last time I went the Oak was propped up by acroprops and completely fenced off.

No idea. I don't think the whole forest is known as sherwood pines, it's still known as Sherwood Forest. I just think that a distinct area of the forest with the visitors centre etc....is known as Sherwood Pines.
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    Nice bikes stand out like a very stealable sore thumb at Centerparcs. Best just hire a Mongoose when you get there and thrash that - they're not expensive. Saves having to pack your own bike and they are nice and heavy so when you get home your bike will feel like it weighs nothing.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Their hire MTBs are ok. Go off road in the forest just outside the camp. I got lost in there for hours on the bike. Great fun.
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    The Mongooses are ok TBH and are a good reminder that you don't need an expensive bike to have fun.