sarajoy Posts: 1,675
edited March 2009 in Commuting chat
Opinions?

They look lovely.
4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I'd really like one to go on my Mercian but alas it will have to wait.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    If you want a saddle which will mould to your body and be incredibly comfortable for years as long as you look after it, buy a Brooks.

If you're a racy type who doesn't like the idea of a saddle that weighs 1/16th the weight of the rest of the bike (yes, really), don't buy a Brooks.

The only reason I don't have one on my commuter is that there's nowhere covered to leave my commuter, and I wouldn't want to get it wet as it could do bad things to the leather. Race bike's never having a Brooks though. Too heavy.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    whyamihere wrote:
    If you want a saddle which will mould to your body and be incredibly comfortable for years as long as you look after it, buy a Brooks.

If you're a racy type who doesn't like the idea of a saddle that weighs 1/16th the weight of the rest of the bike (yes, really), don't buy a Brooks.

The only reason I don't have one on my commuter is that there's nowhere covered to leave my commuter, and I wouldn't want to get it wet as it could do bad things to the leather. Race bike's never having a Brooks though. Too heavy.

They do lightweight Ti models which cost as much as some bikes.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • whyamihere
    Lightest one is 335g, and costs £205.

Let's compare that to a Tune Speedneedle. 97g with a leather cover, costing £115. Alternatively, the Selle San Marco SKN I already have on there. 220g, £25, can ride all day on it anyway.

As I said, a Brooks is never going on my race bike.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    whyamihere wrote:

Then get a Selle An-Atomica with Watershed waterproof leather - and in terms of comfort it is a Brooks beater. It is a revelation!
  • whyamihere
    My wallet is going to hate you alfa...
  • alfablue
    Cannondale are selling their Touring 1 bike with the Selle An-Atomica as standard in the US
    P4030073_small.JPG

9TR1_WHT.jpg

The price is competitive with higher end Brooks versions.
  • alfablue
    whyamihere wrote:
    My wallet is going to hate you alfa...

But will your ar*e love me?

Whoops :oops: NO!!! :twisted:
  • I've just been reading the Selle An-atomica website... there was a description of aggravation right on the edge of the ischial tuberosities which sounded exactly lthe same as the irritation I often get. From the description on the website, my saddle might be too wide - it's just a bog-standard Selle Italia. Think I need to investigate a new, even narrower saddle!

Can you try/buy the Selle An-Atomica saddles in the UK?
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    Brooks saddles I personally think are great. Just got one on my new bike, straight away with no trying other ones. I have tried others before, Brooks wins for me!
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • alfablue
    I've just been reading the Selle An-atomica website... there was a description of aggravation right on the edge of the ischial tuberosities which sounded exactly lthe same as the irritation I often get. From the description on the website, my saddle might be too wide - it's just a bog-standard Selle Italia. Think I need to investigate a new, even narrower saddle!

Can you try/buy the Selle An-Atomica saddles in the UK?
    They are import from US only - but it's not so bad. Tom (the company owner) deals with you direct, answers any questions, and when I ordered it was here in 5 days and the stated value was such that there were no customs duties to pay. You can return it if you don't like it, and there is a good warranty.
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    Any idea what the selle an-atomica saddles weigh?
  • alfablue
    about 500g - not light, but it is one place the weight is worth having.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    itboffin wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:

They do lightweight Ti models which cost as much as some bikes.

relativly light the swift titanium is about 200 nicker and isn't much much lighter than the steel version

lovely saddles though
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • rb1956
    rb1956 Posts: 134
    sarajoy wrote:
    Opinions? They look lovely.
    They do, and they're very comfortable once broken in (the difficulty and time taken in doing this are generally greatly exaggerated BTW). I find leather saddles are much nicer in hot weather too because gel padding gets very sweaty. Brooks also keeps the faith with a wide range of traditional designs too, especially the otherwise neglected sprung saddles, which offer a very simple and effective alternative to suspension-seatposts or rear suspension on non-MTBs. I ride on a Brooks Flyer (basically the B17 with springs) and I love it.

The only downside I find with leather is the need to keep it dry. Every saddle comes with a tailored plastic rain-cover, but when parking at the shops, I usually put a plastic supermarket bag over it. Of course you also have to rub Brooks Proofide (or your leather-treatment of choice) into the saddle periodically, but that's part of keeping it looking glossy anyway! :)
    whyamihere wrote:
    If you want a saddle which will mould to your body and be incredibly comfortable for years as long as you look after it, buy a Brooks. If you're a racy type who doesn't like the idea of a saddle that weighs 1/16th the weight of the rest of the bike (yes, really), don't buy a Brooks.
    As regards the first sentence, I couldn't put it better. As regards the second, yes, the fashion-victims and racers wouldn't consider a Brooks, nominally on grounds of weight (though I've frequently heard the comment from guys carrying a lot more than the weight of a B135 in surplus flab). The lightest Brooks steel-framed saddle is the Swallow at 490g, but the Ti model masses 360g (it's nearly double the price). Now 16x360=5760 or 5.76kg. 5.76kg + 360g = 6.12kg which is well below the TdF legal minimum weight, so if your saddle really weighs 1/16th of the rest of your bike, the scrutineers might have a word with you. :twisted:
  • My mate has 3 bikes all with Brooks' finest on them - swears by them and is always trying to get me to buy one.

I am sure they are ace, just can't get myself to do the 3 months torture to mould em in.
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • alfablue
    My mate has 3 bikes all with Brooks' finest on them - swears by them and is always trying to get me to buy one.

I am sure they are ace, just can't get myself to do the 3 months torture to mould em in.
    Dare I say, Selle An-Atomica, zero break-in required!
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Avoid the break in and the high new cost price by buying a secondhand one from Ebay. I got a B17 for 20 quid and can have a mate who does superb chop jobs to cut them down to one of the slimmer quicker styles if you prefer that for just another 20 quid.

The only thing I find weird is that your bum slips about a bit more on the shiny leather but over a long ride this makes for less rub I reckon.

All in all lovely saddles but not for the weight weenies
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6