New Open Pro/Ultegra Front Handbuilt - 75 pounds

japsy
japsy Posts: 78
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
Is this a good deal? I'll be using the bike for sportives, training and possibly some crits.

Also, have a 95 pounds for DA. Comments appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    japsy wrote:
    Is this a good deal? I'll be using the bike for sportives, training and possibly some crits.

Thanks.
    The price is very good, if the build is, who is doing these for you?
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    I'll have a pair, check out the prices of the parts.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Shima ... 360014343/

this is a good deal for parts alone.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • japsy
    alfablue wrote:
    japsy wrote:

Thanks.
    The price is very good, if the build is, who is doing these for you?

LBS. Wheels are already built for other customers but they changed their mind. So one offer only.

Are they good for my intended use? Worth 20 quid extra for the DA? I see Ribble do a pair for £160 (Ultegra, no stock though), this deal is just a front wheel so doesn't seam that amazing to me.
  • japsy
    John C. wrote:
    I'll have a pair, check out the prices of the parts.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Shima ... 360014343/

this is a good deal for parts alone.

Just a front wheel, not a pair.
  • alfablue
    I am currently buying an Open Pro front on Ultegra 6500 (older model Ultegra) for £80 or thereabouts, from Parker International, their 6600 hub built up is £96, so your price looks very good for an LBS. No idea if DA is worth it (Parker want £156 for DA).
  • alfablue
    The Ultegra front hub is £46 at Wiggle
  • japsy
    alfablue wrote:
    I am currently buying an Open Pro front on Ultegra 6500 (older model Ultegra) for £80 or thereabouts, from Parker International, their 6600 hub built up is £96, so your price looks very good for an LBS. No idea if DA is worth it (Parker want £156 for DA).

Ok, thanks. I don't actually know which version of Ultegra they put on it. Can I ask what type of riding you are intending it for? Just not entirely convinced it is the best wheel for what I intend.
  • alfablue
    It's going on my Audax bike, steel bike, a bit lardy, long day rides, winter rides, light touring. For me good handbuilts on Open Pro's are the dogs' for years of reliable use at not too shabby a weight (my OP/Ultegra rear was 1075g with 36 spokes). I have never had to do any maintenenance on my previous Shimano hubs.

(In contrast my Planet-X model B's weigh 948g rear, but that's just 24 spokes, not 36, and they are about the lightest sub £300 wheelsets).