Wheel builders

Rhods
Rhods Posts: 400
edited February 2009 in Workshop
Hi

New to this game and already thinking of upgrades! Ridiculous really!

I have heard of Harry Rowlands and Paul Hewitt and both seem to have excellent reputations. Anyone know of good wheelbuilders near Cardiff or within a reasonable distance?

If not, any other names will do!

Thanks

Comments

• robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Shwmae Rhodri! I'm not too far from Cardiff but I'm afraid I don't know any specific commercial wheelbuilders in the area. Any decent LBS should have a mechanic who can build perfectly good wheels. Persoanlly, I build my own!
  • Rhods
    Shwmae Rob! Will eventually want to build my own, but don't want to bite off more than i can chew just yet! Got my bike from Cyclopaedia and might ask them for a quote.

Seeing as you have experience of building your own, I wonder if you could enlighten me: seen a lot about the Mavic Open Pro but what's the difference between that and the Open Sport, and then there's the CXP series?!?!

I'm looking for a "do-it all wheel" - from training to light touring. And I'm around the 85kg mark. Any advice on suitability of particular components would be greatly appreciated.

Diolch
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    CXP are generally a bit tougher and stronger as they are heavier than OPs. OPs are tough though. On the rear you could perhaps go 36 hole on a OP, or perhaps 32h on a CXP33. Depends on how heavy the touring will be.

If it's just training then either will be fine on 32h. Use good spokes (DT, Sapim) and a reliable hub (Ultegra etc.) and you'll be fine.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • robbarker
    Open Pro are a good bet, Open Pro ceramic are better again if you can afford the extra, and last for ages, as they braking surface effdectively doesn't wear. Build them onto groupset hubs and you'l have nice wheels. DT 1.1R double-eyelet are also nice light rims that build into strong wheels.

Are you a fluent welsh speaker by the way?
  • Postage to/from Harry Rowlands is v reasonable. He'll also give you hours of free advice - seems like he enjoys yakking as much as building - and the advice he gave saved me a big wedge.

The DT 1.2 based wheels he built for me last year are the absolute 'nads - still absolutley true after a winter of abuse under my 15st frame. He also charges diddly squit for building a wheel.

The hype is true.
  • Rhods
    Rob - I am indeed a fluent Welsh speaker - my first language in fact. Are you? Where do you live in South Wales? What sort of riding do you usually do?

Seeing as postage etc is reasonable and what with the advice I will get from Harry Rowlands as to suitability etc, I amy give him a ring when the time comes.

One quick question - are all the shimano hubs serviceable? i.e. will they last? From what I see, there aren't many better options at the price.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Shimano hubs are excellent. Smooth, serviceable, cup-and-cone, spare freehubs, last well....
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • 100%
    100% Posts: 236
    Whilst you're on hubs...any similar recommendations for Campag compatible hubs? :)

Cheers,
    Steve
  • robbarker
    Rhods wrote:
    Rob - I am indeed a fluent Welsh speaker - my first language in fact. Are you? Where do you live in South Wales?

I'll do you a deal - buy the components (I'll help you with spoke lengths) , bring them along to my place in Monmouthshire and I'll show you how to build your own - I have a workshop here with a proper wheel truing stand, dishing tool, tensiometer etc etc. In return I get to practice my welsh! (not much opportunity this far east and I'm getting rusty!)

Shimano hubs are absolutely fine, the more expensive ones are very nice. Open pro ceramic on ultegra with DT Competition double-butted spokes would make very nice wheels.
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    I'd give my vote to Paul hewitt - the delivery charge to you will be very reasonable and they are very good wheel builders
  • Rhods
    That's very kind Rob. I'll PM you later - got to cycle back home then drive back "home home" to West Wales now!

Thanks again.