Altura jacket advice?

jswba
jswba Posts: 491
edited February 2009 in Road buying advice
Just realised that I put this post in the wrong (old) forum!:

I'm looking out for a new windproof jacket that is reasonably warm (the wind here is a nightmare at the moment) and not too expensive. I'm torn between the Airstream windproof (bargain at Evans for 25 quid) or go the extra 20 quid for the Night Vision. I've seen loads of people recommend the night vision (which looks a bit baggy to me) but was wondering if anybody's tried the cheaper one? Is it warm?

Linky things:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/alt ... gn=froogle

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productde ... LTUZJAC360

Comments

• gpsBRM
    gpsBRM Posts: 123
    I've got the Airstream after a good review in WMB. Its very warm (been wearing just that jacket with a merino base layer, even in the snow and -5 temps we had a few weeks ago) but the windproofing on the arms is not very good (ie its not cut right) for flat barred bikes. Its fine on drop barred bikes when on the hoods etc. Its done for this year on the commute, wouldn't use for MTBing though as its almost to warm, bit sweaty etc.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    I can't comment on either jacket, but my older Night Vision wasn't a soft shell and could get quite sweaty particularly in the wet. Might keep you dry from any rain but self-defeating if you still get soaking wet from sweat.

Bagginess will slow down your riding slightly due to extra wind resistance, but having been out often enough when its close to 0C this could be useful as it makes layering up easier.

BTW I have a Gore Phantom II Jacket, which is alternate and layer with a Pearl Izumi Gavia which alone has kept me warm enough in rain/sleet in strong winds at 3C. Expensive though!
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    chuckcork wrote:
    I can't comment on either jacket, but my older Night Vision wasn't a soft shell and could get quite sweaty particularly in the wet. Might keep you dry from any rain but self-defeating if you still get soaking wet from sweat.

I can't tell from this if you are talking about the Night Vision windproof or waterproof?

I have had a Night Vision windprooffor a couple of years and it is good, but warm. Perfect for winter with a short or long sleeved base layer underneath.

For spring like conditions, say double figure temps in celcius, then it is too warm, but I would be into a gilet by then anway.

I believe the airstyream is slightly less warm than the night vision.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    If by 'warm' you mean 'less breathable' then the Night Vision will probably be noticeably warmer than the windproof- not that I've tried either!
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    Brilliant. Thanks very much. I'll give the airstream a go.