German mail order shops. Recommendations?

proto
proto Posts: 1,483
edited July 2009 in Road buying advice
Anyone able to recommend a German mail order bike shop? Or any other European shop for that matter. Just want to do some price comparisons against UK's usual suspects.

About to order a Mavic Ellipse front wheel but I've been a bit taken aback by recent price hikes. Was going to order from Chain Reaction last Thursday, price £144.99 but never quite got around to it. Checked again today and price is now £157.99, and I think that were under £120 last November or so. :shock:

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I've used http://www.bike24.com/ before, mainly for Schwalbe mtb tyres, and they've been excellent.

Not sure how attractive they are nowadays, given the weakness of the £
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Jedi Sports are normally competitve, even after allowing for shipping
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    With the pound's collapse against the Euro, plus often higher rates of VAT, you'll find it more expensive in the Eurozone. Those price hikes probably reflect the fall in the pound, making it more expensive to buy in from abroad.

But see for yourself at jedibikes, starbike.com, bikediscount.at or salden.nl to browse some of the European shops. Ironically, in my experience, the most expensive place to buy Mavic is in France!
  • I use Rose http://www.roseversand.de/

It's a nice shop if you are ever in Germany.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Roseversand have a huge product range - and your postie will need some exercise to deliver the huge catalogue which they send out every year. Prices aren't too good with the Euro exchange rate though.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • FatLarry
    FatLarry Posts: 209
    Thanks to maddog 2 I've ordered a Sigma Rox 9.0 computer from Bike24 today.

Couldn't find it for less than £225 and very few suppliers have stock in the UK. Bike24 had it in stock and delivered for 175 euros. I'm happy with that - thanks maddog 2!

Now I'm scouring the European market for a Most Bork Carbon bottle cage. That's proving to be more of a challenge, but will try the other suppliers listed. I suspect I need an Italian store...
  • markmw
    markmw Posts: 131
    FatLarry wrote:
    Now I'm scouring the European market for a Most Bork Carbon bottle cage. That's proving to be more of a challenge, but will try the other suppliers listed. I suspect I need an Italian store...
    You mean like this?
    http://www.lordgunbicycles.com/shop/most-bork-full-carbon-bottle-cage-p-1472.html
  • FatLarry
    Oh, you beeeeaaaauuuuuty!!!!

Off to get the credit card from the car. :D
  • markmw
    FatLarry wrote:
    Oh, you beeeeaaaauuuuuty!!!!

Off to get the credit card from the car. :D
    Always happy to encourage gratuitous spend. Incidently, anything "special" about these cages? I'm looking for a couple myself for the new bike. Having spent the best part of £3k on everything else, I might as well push the boat out on some tarty bottle cages!
  • FatLarry
    There's nothing particularly special about the cage itself, but I do think it's a good looking cage, the colours complement the bike... and I'm keen on a bit of brand co-ordination!

Pinarello Bike, Most Crankset, Most Wheels, Most handlebar, Most seatpost, Most Panther shoes... Most bottle cage... :oops:
  • markmw
    FatLarry wrote:
    There's nothing particularly special about the cage itself, but I do think it's a good looking cage, the colours complement the bike... and I'm keen on a bit of brand co-ordination!

Pinarello Bike, Most Crankset, Most Wheels, Most handlebar, Most seatpost, Most Panther shoes... Most bottle cage... :oops:
    Oh I see. Not so much "want" or "need" but "obsession". I understand. :wink:
    Let us know how you get on with Lordgun - I haven't used them yet but always check their site to see if stuff is cheaper, along with Jedi Sports. Note, these two both have eBay shopes as well, but with a limited range available at any one time.
  • FatLarry
    I'm a little perturbed by the postage costs... 17 Eur is a bit steep, compared to 5.95 Eur from Bike 24. In principle I object to paying that much, even if it is "express" - I 'd be happy to wait a few weeks.

Still a good deal overall though. But in the battle between obsession and principle, principle is winning at the moment.

Might be a different story by the end of the day... or I may just satisfy my gratuitous spending need with a posh new saddle bag. If I can decide between the red and the black...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Scicon_Compact_430_Saddle_bag/5360037709/
  • markmw
    FatLarry wrote:
    I'm a little perturbed by the postage costs... 17 Eur is a bit steep, compared to 5.95 Eur from Bike 24. In principle I object to paying that much, even if it is "express" - I 'd be happy to wait a few weeks.

Still a good deal overall though. But in the battle between obsession and principle, principle is winning at the moment.

Might be a different story by the end of the day... or I may just satisfy my gratuitous spending need with a posh new saddle bag. If I can decide between the red and the black...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Scicon_Compact_430_Saddle_bag/5360037709/
    For me, it only makes sense economically for the the higher value items, eg I thought about a Fulcum crank from Jedi which, even with the €20 postage, still would've been cheaper than buying in the UK. With the cage, think about the overall cost. It's like buying a 99p item on eBay and paying a fiver for delivery. It's how some people make money if they are competitive on core price.

Oh, and black.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    www.salden.nl This is a Dutch webshop. they also have a large shop in the south of the Netherlands. I have used them several times and they are excellent. [[/url]
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • amt27
    amt27 Posts: 320
    I am considering using bikediscount.de

what hidden charges should I look out for, mainly from the card transaction?

for example I am looking at a SLX chainset (amongst other items) its 95 euros inc postage, which is £82 using £1 = Euro 1.159, my bank will charge 2.75% + £1.25 fee, putting it up to £85.50, obviously best to make up a bigger worthwhile order,

what's the catch?
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    amt27 wrote:
    what hidden charges should I look out for, mainly from the card transaction?

for example I am looking at a SLX chainset (amongst other items) its 95 euros inc postage, which is £82 using £1 = Euro 1.159, my bank will charge 2.75% + £1.25 fee, putting it up to £85.50, obviously best to make up a bigger worthwhile order

Why are your card company charging 2.75% + £1.25 fee? Those kind of fees are normally associated with a cash advance not a purchase of goods.

I've made purchases using assorted cards all over the world and never been charged anything other than the cost price, if yours are charging extra get a different card.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,318
    I bought some BIB shorts from www.supercycleclothing.com. Very very good quality. The padding feels like a double set of nappies off the bike but on it - as we say in Scotland "right cushty".
    (Translation for idiots available)

PS Folks - stop this sojourn to these exotic sites. I can't afford it. I'm broke as it is. No more credit. No increase in overdraft. No overtime available. High maintenance woman. Even the cat is on a diet....
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • FatLarry wrote:

Yours is easier than mine. You wanna try finding stuff in green to match my trek 1.5 it's a nightmare :roll:
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?