If you were Queen for a day...

boy on bike
boy on bike Posts: 139
edited March 2009 in Commuting chat
...and were allowed to repeal one law, and pass another, then what would they be?

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Off the top of my head, I'd repeal the 2004 The Hunting Act. A completely unenforceable, unsympathetic and unworkable piece of legislation, and a breach of civil liberties to boot.

Mmmm laws to pass. I reckon I'd demand that anyone with a driving licence retakes it every 5 years. Or force petty criminals to work in old school style chain gangs, cleaning streets, removing graffiti etc.
  • Damn it I was going to say retesting for driving licenses, not for everyone, but if you get 6 points, have a full fault insurance claim or are over 60...

As for laws to repeal... hmmmmm... not sure on that one.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Let's see how many people manage to post law changes that benefit society rather than individuals. I reckon maybe 10%.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Repeal - women getting the vote

Enact - remove all tax on fags and booze.
  • biondino
    Repeal - parliament

Enact - army of zombie robots to enforce my every whim as supreme dictator
  • Repeal - blondie's zombie army

Enact - secret underground lair
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Re driving licences, apprently these days they are issued on the understanding that if you get 6 points in the first year or two or something then your licence gets taken away and you have to retake your test.
    When you then get the new licence, it comes with ALL your previous points on it.

Driving and teaching are two things I am so glad I don't have to qualify now for - I would be doing a different job I could cycle to.....

On second thoughts...... :lol:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Repeal: The Act of Union. Bye guys. It was fun while the oil lasted.

Enact: ban career politicians and MPs' salaries. I want people in Parliament who've had a successful career outside politics and are prepared to give back their time and experience to help their country.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Repeal. Treaty of Rome.

Enact. A law similar to the one in Holland that states that in the event of a collision with a bike, the driver of the car is in the wrong.
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    repeal

the act that removed the death sentance for cases. I would put it in quit arbitrelaly. if a prison is full and you need to put another prisoner in... kill the one thats been there the longest.

enact

a system where if you dont have a paying job the goverment will give you a job and pay you the same wage as the dole would. you can claim days off for interviews. If works is substandard then you dont get paid. jobs could be child care for parents, gardening sweeping the streets grafity removal laboring on councel houseing referbishment projects. Any other jobs that require little training but are a drain to the councells coffers freeing up money for local projects and support of hard working people.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • biondino
    So you're giving the untrained unemployed responsibility for children? :shock:
  • Mmmm laws to pass. I reckon I'd demand that anyone with a driving licence retakes it every 5 years.
    Damn it I was going to say retesting for driving licenses, not for everyone, but if you get 6 points, have a full fault insurance claim or are over 60...

Yeah! Me too! I was gonna say *exactly* that stuff!

Wait! I did say it! Here, on this very forum!! A week ago today! 8) 8) :D

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Bikerbaboon
    edited February 2009
    biondino wrote:
    So you're giving the untrained unemployed responsibility for children? :shock:

I would not say with out training but again it would cut the cost of child care and the payouts for child care for working parents.

hell teenagers and older parents have no training
  • enact

a system where if you dont have a paying job the goverment will give you a job and pay you the same wage as the dole would. you can claim days off for interviews. If works is substandard then you dont get paid. jobs could be child care for parents, gardening sweeping the streets grafity removal laboring on councel houseing referbishment projects. Any other jobs that require little training but are a drain to the councells coffers freeing up money for local projects and support of hard working people.

Isn't that what Gordoon (Saviour of the World) McBroon has been doing for the last decade, (except at a salary above the dole amount + generous guaranteed pension....)?
    Time VRS Pro-Team 08 – weekend steed
    Condor Moda - commute
    Scott something or other - manky old MTB
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Mmmm laws to pass. I reckon I'd demand that anyone with a driving licence retakes it every 5 years.
    Damn it I was going to say retesting for driving licenses, not for everyone, but if you get 6 points, have a full fault insurance claim or are over 60...

Special gold star for YOU! :D

I'd totally forgotten about that. The internet remembers everything.
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Mmmm laws to pass. I reckon I'd demand that anyone with a driving licence retakes it every 5 years.

Special gold star for YOU! :D

I'd totally forgotten about that. The internet remembers everything.

AHEM! COUGH COUGH!!

"The internet"? "The internet"? :shock: :shock:

It wasn't "The internet" that magically conjured up that insight from nowhere!

It was ME! :o

I think I deserve a round of applause. Gold stars are ten-a-penny these days. I mean, come on. A gold star! That's like, what? A "C" at GCSE? A "D" even"?

Gold star mold schmar. mutter mutter.... :x

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609

I'm not too keen on that "fault insurance claim" bit. All fault/non-fault means is whether or not it's possible to claim back the expenses from a third party. There's lots of situations where people have fault claims that aren't the result of them doing anything wrong.

(three guesses what I do for a living)
  • It's a SPECIAL gold star. That's like a B at GCSE at least...

Actually, you can have a GCSE! There you go, one GCSE in remembering stuff over the course of a week! It's that easy to get one now, I hear.

Be sure to add it to your CV, although it'll look out of place among all the O-Levels...
  • il_principe
    Greg66 wrote:
    Repeal: The Act of Union. Bye guys. It was fun while the oil lasted.

Enact: ban career politicians and MPs' salaries. I want people in Parliament who've had a successful career outside politics and are prepared to give back their time and experience to help their country.

Me likey number 2. Thought this for a long time, but I think it's especially relevant now. So we have Mandleson as Business Sec - Mandy has pretty much no Business experience whatsoever, let alone a successful career in business. And what about Darling? A career politician (and former Marxist) who has no experience in either economics or the Financial sector. It's ridiculous really.
  • Bikerbaboon
    nation wrote:

I'm not too keen on that "fault insurance claim" bit. All fault/non-fault means is whether or not it's possible to claim back the expenses from a third party. There's lots of situations where people have fault claims that aren't the result of them doing anything wrong.

(three guesses what I do for a living)

Monkey knife fighter trainer ?

Ninja knife fighter trainer?

Insurance working Knife fight trainer ?

I think the re testing should be manditory every 5-10 years. we have people on the roads that have never learned how to use rounderbouts as it was no on the test 40 years ago.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Insurance working Knife fight trainer ?

:lol:

Half right, but then it's certainly been a stabby day today...
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    OK heres one...take away the law change that gave motorists the right to use the roads, especially the bit about doing more than walking pace and not needing someone in front waving a red flag to warn others of danger approaching.

With so many vehicles consigned to the junkyard as aresult of being impractical anymore, then perhaps the air in cities would be cleaned up, space (i.e. roads and parking lots) freed for green space, bikes would be a perfectly safe form of transport for all, and the sizeable chunk of national wealth that goes to buying, making, importing cars and their fuels, providing new roads, dealing with the vehicle waste emissions, tyres etc, could be allocated for a widened and more inclusive public transport system, including of course better cycle facilities.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    I don't like this idea of amateurs running the country, I'll stick with the career politicians please. It was a bad idea 100 years ago, it's a bad idea now. You'll be stuck with the ones who can't actually hack it in their profession in charge. I know the pro's are slimy and untrustworthy, but I'd still rather have them.

My first act as soverign would be to declare a Republic and put the country in the hands of the people who live in it, rather than the aformentioned slimy pro's. I want a constitution damn it, and I want it now.
    If I can't do that, I'll repeal the anti-terror laws. The most undemocratic, unfair, illeberal, evil bits of legislation that should never have been allowed to be drafted, let alone become law.

Then I'd copy Christophe3967 one, making motorised vehicles responsible for their accidents unless they can prove otherwise, carefully worded to avoid "guilty till proven innocent" of course.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    I don't like this idea of amateurs running the country, I'll stick with the career politicians please. It was a bad idea 100 years ago, it's a bad idea now. You'll be stuck with the ones who can't actually hack it in their profession in charge. I know the pro's are slimy and untrustworthy, but I'd still rather have them.

My first act as soverign would be to declare a Republic and put the country in the hands of the people who live in it, rather than the aformentioned slimy pro's. I want a constitution damn it, and I want it now.
    If I can't do that, I'll repeal the anti-terror laws. The most undemocratic, unfair, illeberal, evil bits of legislation that should never have been allowed to be drafted, let alone become law.

Then I'd copy Christophe3967 one, making motorised vehicles responsible for their accidents unless they can prove otherwise, carefully worded to avoid "guilty till proven innocent" of course.

We have a constitution, its just not codified.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Eau Rouge wrote:

The would probably take wholesale reform of the legal system requiring the overturning centuries of precedent and probably take as long to establish all the way through the Privy Council and then the European Courts system.

You'd also be fighting against seriously powerful vested interests, starting with insurance companies who probably do atually have more money than God (or at least the Vatican?)
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Eau Rouge wrote:

I'm no fan of career polliticians but I'm certainly not for Gregs idea of no salary and only people from successful careers in parliament. It is supposed to represent the interests of all of the people - this proposal takes us back to a ruling elite that represents its own interests. I quite liked the policy (whether I liked the politics is a different matter) of the Militant Tendancy who had two labout MPs in the 80s - both took just the national average wage. That wouldn't attract the careerists, it wouldn't put off the average man and the successful career people would still have a reason to be MPs.

Oddly enough my act has similar lines to Greg's and is also something I mentioned on here last week

Enact - to join the police force or politics you must be aged 25 or over and have worked in a different type of profession. That way you have some experience of the real world.

Repeal - so many mad laws that I'l have to give it some thought.
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Repeal: Any of the laws which reduce civil liberties in the name of national security
    Enact: Ban any laws which perform the above.

I believe it was Benjamin Franklin who said something along the lines of "A man who chooses safety over freedom will find he has neither". I agree with this 100%.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I'd repeal the law that repealed the law requiring all fit men to practice archery on a Sunday in case Jonny Frog came marching over the horizon - as much a threat now in the guise of the EU as it was 600 years ago. Get yer quivers at the ready chaps...

One new law that I'd like would be to force the prosecution to prove that damage may be caused by an individual believing in something that patently isn't true, rather than the current method where we effectively have thought crimes, viz Holocaust deniers, <lots of examples that would probably bring me to the attention of the law>, the world is flat believers, anything of that nature. If someone has an opinion that doesn't tie in with the government of the day's opinion, tough. Let them prove that it's an actual problem, not some theoretical jumped-up 'threat to society'. grumble grumble cont p94...
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    +lots for retaking driving tests every 5-10 years. Considering they're operating potentially lethal machinery, I find it astounding that once a driver has passed their test and got their licence they're never retested. Roads change, cars change, rules are forgotten, bad habits slip in.

And I'd repeal the offence of "death by dangerous driving". Use Manslaughter and deal with accordingly.
  • il_principe
    Eau Rouge wrote:

Mmmm well having a constituion (along the lines you are thinking of) has done wonders for the US hasn't it. No sign of the establishment running things there is there? Oh hang on...

Also I think you are missing the key point which is that they would have had "successful" careers.

Also I think you're getting pro and amateur the wrong way round in this case :lol: