First sportive on Trek 1.5 (2009)

Papapete
Papapete Posts: 133
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on attempting my first sportive this year (looking at a 100 miler later in the year). Think it would be wise to do a couple of smaller ones first, which i'll have a look around and see what's quite close to me.
The advice i'm after is on the bike. I opted for a Trek 1.5, Sora set up, at the back end of last year and am wondering if I should upgrade the groupset to a better Shimano product (say 105). I'll probably look at getting a better bike next year (if funds allow). Having not rode anything with a better set up, I don't know how to guage paying up to change. I'm not overly impressed with the Sora, but does serve a purpose.

Grateful for any thoughts.

Comments

• volvine
    volvine Posts: 409
    The manchester 100 would be great for you i did it last year and it was ok fairly flat and really well marshalled as for the trek and sora i did it on a trek madone with 105 tbh at the level i am at i really don't think upgrading to a super groupset would make that much difference think the 105 will suit me for a long while works very well indeed.
  • Papapete
    When is the Manchester 100?

I have toy'd with the idea of using the 1.5 as a trainer and may be getting an 08 model discounted for any sportive riding (think the wife would kill me if i brought another bike home though!!).
  • volvine
    it is later in the year mate september i think what is wrong with your trek why do you need to upgrade ?????? :?
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    You should be perfectly fine with Sora for 100 miles, and if they are set up well, you shouldn't have many issues with them. Why are you not impressed with them.

Upgrading to 105 is an option as and when things wear out, but can you still get 105 9 speed? If not you will need to upgrade the STI levers as well.
  • I would n't change the groupset if you're planning to change the bike later. As said above your current stuff will be fine for a 100 m, and more.

DM
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Sora is fine, you have no need to upgrade it, particularly if as you say you've never ridden anything else and so the only reason is likely to be that someone else has told you it's rubbish...?

If you're desperate to spend, you would notice an improvement if you upgraded your wheelset, and then you could transfer those wheels onto your next bike if you do buy another and sell your Trek with its original wheels.
    But I reckon that money spent on a new groupset would be wasted, if you're simply going to buy another bike before long anyway

I did my first half-dozen or so sportives on a Sora-equipped Spesh Allez...
  • Papapete
    I think the problem i have had is that I have listened to people's views on Sora (ie stay away and go 105 / Ultegra etc..), add this to a current problem of having to go for the levers twice to change gear (not all the time, but does happen) and having some of the mid range gears causing a right racket when spinning in them, I have put two and two together and come up with five. i have blamed it on the Sora reviews I've heard.

Having read through your responses I am going to visit LBS over the weekend to see if the set up needs adjusting and hopefully by Monday i will have had all those reviews completely wiped out of memory and be happy with what I have. i will keep you posted.

I have also checked out the Manchester 100 and is on the 6th Sept. I have looked up the Gore bikewear sportive in Ruthin (North Wales) for September, but Manchester gives me another option.

Cheers for your replies folks
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I think Sora is fine, if you are used to the higher groupsets then you are used to the shift lever behind the brake lever and wouldn't like the little thumb levers, but if that's what you are used to, no problem. The rest of the groupset is good and apart from a little weight (not much difference really) there isn't loads more functionality from going up to 105.Most people live with the shifters and replace bits when they wear out. It is generally a poor use of your money to upgrade the bike in one go, you get the components far cheaper attached to a bike so best value is to buy new and sell on the old complete (or save it for winter or commuting).

The racket will be setup, not Sora, it is possible to have Sora running sweet.
  • Papapete
    Have been to LBS over weekend, and after a few adjustments I can now report that all is in good working order. Just been out for ride and have now managed to use the mid range gears that I didn't before because of the racket they made. I should think about things a little more before jumping to conclusion! :oops:

Anyone reading this and put off by Sora set up, don't be, I was just naive (and a novice to boot!) to know any different.
  • Papapete
    Have been to LBS over weekend, and after a few adjustments I can now report that all is in good working order. Just been out for ride and have now managed to use the mid range gears that I didn't before because of the racket they made. I should think about things a little more before jumping to conclusion! :oops:

Anyone reading this and put off by Sora set up, don't be, I was just naive (and a novice to boot!) to know any different.
  • Papapete

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Hey, pleased to hear it Papapete!
  • Papapete
    Cheers for your advice 'Alfabue'. Now looking to get those miles in and work towards a 100.
  • volvine
    also think the noisy gears are just in need of a little push or pull of the levers to align them becomes second nature with practise.
  • Papapete wrote:
    Cheers for your advice 'Alfabue'. Now looking to get those miles in and work towards a 100.

Make sure you have this month's C+ magazine and you can follow the simple plan to get ready for a 100 in a few weeks.