Compression clothing

Bar.
Bar. Posts: 41
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting some compression clothing to ride and run in and have noticed that the choice is huge. Does anyone have any experience with brands they would like to share?
Thus far the 2XU, Linebreak and Skins look good with Under Armour and CCC's options being possible bargain alternatives. I've often seen the Nike versions in those messy Sports World shops but never the right size or design (they seem to like the vests) and I'm put off by those and other more football oriented makes.

Thanks

Bar.

Comments

• page23
    page23 Posts: 182
    the most important aspect is to get the right fit. this should be your criteria as they generally offer the same level of compression. without the correct fit they won't work as well.
  • Bar.
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The fit, following on from a bit of web searching, does seem to be a possible issue as I am smack between a small and medium in the Canterbury range but more certainly a medium in Underarmour et al. To add to that I've found a bargain cold Canterbury top available in both sizes but I don't think they will be there for too long.

Bar.
  • page23
    i've got a canterbury cold and it's very good. use it for running and skiing mainly. i'd prob suggest going for the samller one. you'll prob think it's too small when it arrives but it will stretch to fit you a bit over time. better too small than too big with these garments.

couldn't you just quickly pop to a local sport shop that stocks them and try the same one on?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The compression kit doesnt stay compressiony for long though does it ? So a few dozen washes and its gone ?

Isnt it more for wearing as recovery kit than training in ? Although I have seen triathletes racing in them, and i'm convinced it should be banned, as its turned a pretty silly sport into a ridiculously silly sport. Men running round in stockings ????
  • Bar.
    The nearest one that I suspect has stock - I've been thwarted more locally by a glut of XXL and Ls - is in Brentwood, which I won't be visiting for a week or so. I just had an email reply from CCC's UK webshop who spoke to a staff member and advised Medium. The bargain top was £14 (plus £3 p&p) so I took a chance and ordered that. Leggings in Medium (my waist is less likely to squeeze into a small, possibly) or Small are harder to find at a good price unless I want the cold ones, and unlike the top, I'm not sure if the cold weather leggings will be as versatile. My thinking was I could wear the hot ones under my windproof bottoms in the winter, but that cold ones might be too hot to wear from spring onwards. Do you wear the leggings as well?

Bar.
  • page23
    cougie wrote:
    The compression kit doesnt stay compressiony for long though does it ? So a few dozen washes and its gone ?

Isnt it more for wearing as recovery kit than training in ? Although I have seen triathletes racing in them, and i'm convinced it should be banned, as its turned a pretty silly sport into a ridiculously silly sport. Men running round in stockings ????

the compression does last a long time and way beyond a few dozen washes (provided it wasn't crap kit to begin with).

also, in addition to aiding recovery, compression kit does actually work during exercise; especially stockings as these aids 'venous return' which is really useful for the removal of metabolites. it's not just a fad.
  • Bar.
    I'm sure it works, too. Even my bog standard Decathlon 3/4 length running tights have some benefit with regards to recovery or the avoidance of muscle strains. I recently ran the same route a week or so apart wearing them the second time around and managed to avoid the usual achy legs for two days afterwards. I warmed up and down in the same way, and if anything pushed myself harder the second time around. I have to admit wearing the leggings will be a leap of faith as I'm put in mind of Max Wall, but enough people in my area seem to run with them so who cares?

Bar.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Its all a load of rubbish IMO and I own compression cycling shorts and an Canterbury top, especially for cycling where there are none of the repeated hits you get in running. Personally I'm moving away from this stuff and for base layers more to merino wool stuff from the likes of icebreaker.