Have Iron Horse gone bust?

mtbpunx
mtbpunx Posts: 6
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Does anyone know what's going on at Iron Horse?

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=495542

If this guy's telling the truth, it looks like us IH owners are screwed when it comes to warranty/new pivots.

Comments

• if ist true, very sad new indeed
  • tompug
    tompug Posts: 227
    That's funny because IH are still running a full page AD in this months MBUK (page 23). Surely advertising would be cut before they called it a day. Besides they have a good range of bikes in the 6pointX. The guy who posted the info seems like he has an axe to grind and is making some very strong allegations.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Looks like it may be true, thread on PinkBike forum as well.

Chances are the advertising order was placed months in advance, most companies try to keep going as normal whilst trying to sort finances out with the bank in the background. If the market (or competitors / suppliers) get a whiff a company is going down it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    My 6 Point 4 is only 3 months old. Love that bike, mostly because the DW linkage is awesome. Had wondered how they would get on without the rights to sell that.

I'm gutted for that bike but wonder how much the Sunday will drop to. :(
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    Thats a great shame if its true :( not that I could afford one of their bikes !!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    stumpyjon

that thread on pinkbike totally rips the ihateu post on mtbr to pieces....

There was a rumour a couple of weeks ago apparently of an IH management buyout and relocation, which corroborates the trucks moving everything, and the overarching holding company is no longer in charge, so the extra staffers have been binned.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet, until at least a trustworthy source writes it. especially posts written in forums by 17 year old ex staff who MAY have been redundied! not being funny about age or anything, just the orgininal mtbr post seemed to say he had loads of responsibility for all sorts of stuff.....I do not believe the majority of internationally trading companies trust 17 year olds with that sort of thing.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • there was me wanting to get a cheap yakuza :cry::lol:, but good luck to them in getting a new owner
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    Intresting have to wait and see what hearsay damage to them will do.

But obvious they have not gone bust YET but obviouse the parent companys
    debt has pulled them down and strugling for a buyer.

Should be a sound buy for what I know if not all is made by someone else
    under what they call Licencee laws.

Intresting that Sam Hill leaves and now this.
  • Very good point grantway... Was Sam's departure forced due to lack of funding?
  • haha ratshit, i have been waiting on a warrenty frame or some kind of correspondance from ironhorse for 6 weeks now, looks like im out of luck.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    getridden wrote:
    haha ratshit, i have been waiting on a warrenty frame or some kind of correspondance from ironhorse for 6 weeks now, looks like im out of luck.

have you read the article?
    Martin insisted Iron Horse owners had nothing to worry about, saying: "We (Iron Horse's UK importers Jim Walker) will continue to do warranties in the UK and we are planning to continue forward with Iron Horse. Whoever buys Iron Horse, we will continue to work with them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mtbpunx wrote:
    Does anyone know what's going on at Iron Horse?

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=495542

If this guy's telling the truth, it looks like us IH owners are screwed when it comes to warranty/new pivots.

Its really a true but seems unbelievable.
    Chase Me :P
  • Chase21
    like.... a year ago.
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Definitely a bit late picking up on that news Chase 21!

I'm sure they have been bought over but most of the shops that I saw stocking them didn't have any more in stock after they sold off current stock fairly cheap.

It was difficult for a while to get parts for them but hopefully with the new parent company in place for a while now and aftermarket demand most parts should be available now either as originals or as custom created components.

Never going to be as good without the DW linkage though IMO.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • tompug wrote:
    That's funny because IH are still running a full page AD in this months MBUK (page 23). Surely advertising would be cut before they called it a day.

not that funny, most magazine adverts are secured up to 6 months in advance, at least 3.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    yeah i heard about this about a year ago, i'm surprised they've not gone under yet, they've been having problems for a while.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5