Good base for riding the pyrenees?

dave milne
dave milne Posts: 703
edited February 2009 in Tour & expedition
Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes.

I'm going to France in August and am looking to drive down to the Pyrenees for 3-4 days with my bike. Does anyone know of a good base to go out and ride some of the famous climbs, i.e. the tourmalet, hautacam etc.

However I will be with my wife so ideally it needs to be somewhere where she can be entertained whilst I'm out. Perhaps a spa hotel in Pau or something. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I will have a hire car so I can drive out, it doesn't necessarily need to be within easy riding distance.

Cheers

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    dave milne wrote:
    Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes.

I'm going to France in August and am looking to drive down to the Pyrenees for 3-4 days with my bike. Does anyone know of a good base to go out and ride some of the famous climbs, i.e. the tourmalet, hautacam etc.

However I will be with my wife so ideally it needs to be somewhere where she can be entertained whilst I'm out. Perhaps a spa hotel in Pau or something. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I will have a hire car so I can drive out, it doesn't necessarily need to be within easy riding distance.

Cheers

What about Lourdes?....very close to hautacam,Luz Ardiden,Cauterets,Tourmalet,Soulor,Aubisque?
  • sounds great from a cycling point of view but if I don't want a quickish divorce it has to be good from a relaxtion, pampering point of view
  • Steve928
    Steve928 Posts: 314
    Bagneres-de-Luchon is a nice spa town with good shops, street cafes etc.
    At the base of the Peyresourde, Portillon and Superbagneres and close to Port de Bales.
    Aspin + Tourmalet a short drive or a longish ride away..
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I've recommended http://www.chez-passet.com a few times on here. I don't have any links with them, honest! It's a really nice place to stay a couple of miles outside Lourdes, so far enough away from the madding crowds, but easy enough to walk in for dinner, etc. (Try cafe Leffe for the beer and great food). I took my wife there last September and she loved it. If you stay in the Tourmalet room, it has a roll top bath in the middle of the room with views of the pyrenees out the french doors - women tend to like that sort of thing!
    I believe there is a day spa in Bagnerre de Bigorre, which would be handy if your wife dropped you at virtually the foot of the Tourmalet. If not, there are quiet back roads to get you there (approx 30k away, nice little 300m warm up hill on the way), or you can do Hautacam (12k). Soulor, Aubisque, Luz-Ardiden, all within easy range too.
  • cheers guys I'll check those out
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    I would recommend having a look at Bagnères-de-Bigorre as a base. Nice little town, reasonable hotels, you can go straight out on the bike and lots of little shops and touristy things. At least that's how it was and I don't think it will have changed much. It's a cure centre so it must have spas or hot springs or something but I have never looked at that sort of thing so it will need checking out. Try a trip to the Pic du Midi, the views are well woth the effort (and effort there is, even if you use the car!)