Using an iPhone as a GPS

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited February 2009 in Workshop
How useful is an iPhone as a GPS unit? Could I for instance plot a route and have the iPhone show me the way? I understand that it won't prompt like a Garmin. I was thinking of getting a Garmin but an iPhone would be more use to me generally and I can't justify both.

I wonder if the GPS functionality will improve in the ntd future?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• terongi
    terongi Posts: 318
    Can't help with your tech enquiries, but my first question would be: is it waterproof?
  • GPS phones can give you turn-by turn prompting, it's a steep monthly charge for the service.

Get a small, cheap Tom tom for directions, run an earpiece to hear.

Garmin makes mediocre auto GPS.

Other option: 3G phones and Google maps.
  • FatLarry
    FatLarry Posts: 209
    Have you taken a look here?

http://www.imapmy.com/
  • You can use the I phone for GPS, and its usually reliable. It will give you directions, but you have to manually go on to the next one. Otherwise you can just have the map on and follow your route round. However, this will drain the battery pretty quickly (3-4 hours max), especially if you keep the screen on all the time (which you would need to).

If you want it just as an occasional prompt when you get to a junction, it's fine, although you do need to stop and have a look at it.

In other words, its not ideal, but it would work!
  • You can use the I phone for GPS, and its usually reliable. It will give you directions, but you have to manually go on to the next one. Otherwise you can just have the map on and follow your route round. However, this will drain the battery pretty quickly (3-4 hours max), especially if you keep the screen on all the time (which you would need to).

If you want it just as an occasional prompt when you get to a junction, it's fine, although you do need to stop and have a look at it.

In other words, its not ideal, but it would work!