Natural energy drinks/bars/gels etc - which range?

jam1e
jam1e Posts: 1,066
Can anyone suggest a range of energy drinks etc that are as natural as possible? I'm quite happy chucking any of the usual brands down my neck but the mrs is hyper sensitive to a lot of artificial flavourings, colours and flavourings.

If possible it'd be good to have a non citrus flavour as well - she's sensitive to citrus fruits as well!

Cheers guys

Comments

• Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    Just buy the ingredients, maltodextrin, taurine, caffine, etc. from http://www.myprotein.co.uk/ and mix your own :wink:
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Another recommendation for Torq. I also like Clif bars, which are more natural than most.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • +1 Clif bars and Torq drinks.
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    orange juce 200m
    water 800m
    pinch for low salt
    pinch of normal salt.

you can swap the type of jucie. and it will be near
    Isotonic.

tomato juce is a good recovery drink if you have the protien covered. if not Milk. ( dont matter the animal its from but hampsters are a bitch to mik and cats just wont stand for it. and i think my bearded dragon is a boy :shock: )

for food eat bananas fig rolls and malt loaf. all good out on a ride.

you dont get any more natural than that.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    orange juce 200m
    water 800m
    pinch for low salt
    pinch of normal salt.

you can swap the type of jucie. and it will be near
    Isotonic.

tomato juce is a good recovery drink if you have the protien covered. if not Milk. ( dont matter the animal its from but hampsters are a ***** to mik and cats just wont stand for it. and i think my bearded dragon is a boy :shock: )

for food eat bananas fig rolls and malt loaf. all good out on a ride.

you dont get any more natural than that.

lol!

+1 for OJ, but I tend to use something like a 40/60 mix myself
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    Tried OJ got on ok with it.... but I use 300ml OJ, 200ml Water, and then the usual pinch of low salt. Ive also tried coke, lucozade, powerade, water, flavoured water, milk and a few other ramdom mixtures including fruit smoothies i made myself.... OJ is the best for me.

Never tried fig rolls, are they the buscuit fig rolls, or something else?
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    Gav888 wrote:
    Tried OJ got on ok with it.... but I use 300ml OJ, 200ml Water, and then the usual pinch of low salt. Ive also tried coke, lucozade, powerade, water, flavoured water, milk and a few other ramdom mixtures including fruit smoothies i made myself.... OJ is the best for me.

Never tried fig rolls, are they the buscuit fig rolls, or something else?

http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/ ... hp3?item=5

It is a crime that any one on a bike would not know the pure joy of the fig roll.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,066
    Cheers all - it looks like it's going to be torq and clif then. I'd like to make my own and buy fig rolls etc but to be honest I can't be ar5ed!

I'd end up smacked of my t1ts after putting too much caffeine in my energy drink and hungry cos I ate the figrolls and banana for my lunch the day before!
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    I like raisins and bananas, and these. Organic and fairtrade, and not entirely unrelated to Torq's energy bars. Natural fruits are hard to beat, even if they don't have the Kcal count of the more 'engineered' products.

Otherwise I'd go for Jaffa cakes or malt loaf. Most commercially available muesli bars appear to be a bit sickly and high in refined sugar.

Checking the ingredients of the SiS stuff, I see PSP22 and Go contain Aspartame. I'd rather not swallow that cr*p thank you! Have only heard good reports about Torq. Haven't got round to trying it yet, even though Matt lives locally and is often at my club's Tuesday time trials. They have introduced single measures, so you can try 1 measure each of 4 flavours without splashing out on a big bucket and finding you don't like it. Seems like a reasonable idea.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • SiS range works best for me:

PSP22 - great energy drink - I find easy on the stomach

Rego recovery drink - excellent, especially banana flavour

Go bars - chocolate and orange flavour not bad at all

At end of the day it's like asking what brand of cola do you like - they are all a bit different but do much the same thing - just try a few and see what works for you.
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    Just tried a nature valley granola bar, OMG it was so dry, I struggled to eat it!! but plenty of energy though. :roll:
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond