And this time it's the shirt.

Sea_Green_Incorruptible
edited March 2009 in Commuting chat
WTF. After my ridiculous SPD-SL incident earlier in the week I have now come in this mornng without a shirt. I will have to wear my damp cycling top all day instead.

What the hell is wrong with me? :shock:

Actually I know the answer to that. It is a nine month baby boy with the sleep patters of an insomniac amphetamine fiend after a day on the coffee...

Also, as noted by Jash, the roads are full of cretins at the moment and there's STILL no news on my cracked Cervelo. :evil:

Not a happy bunny.

Comments

• page23
    page23 Posts: 182
    i know this will sound really over the top but i've actually written out a list of things to remember and put it on the fridge (i'm vacant in the mornings). i read it before going and it still amazes me that i wold have gone without my pants etc. had i not read it.
  • :lol::lol:

Sorry, but that is funny. Well I am finding it funny anyhow.

Maybe pack the night before? Full spare outfit under the desk?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :lol::lol:

I got just under four hours' sleep last night because my two little girls were tag-teaming. I gave up trying to get back to sleep just before 5am. Little monsters. :P
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    I hear that one. My 20 month old twins have streaming colds, and they were really hyper after their carnival procession and feast yesterday(15x 2&3 year olds all dressed as pirates, surreal!), so I reckon I got an hours sleep.

This morning in a daze I hopped onto the bike, started to pedal, forgot I wasnt clipped in and hit a bollard all within 3 metres of my house.
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I now have several changes of clothes, jeans, smart trousers and a suit, and a full set of underwear for the week + various belts/cuff links and shoes hidden in various cupboards/drawer units arround the office having learn't the hard way. My particular forte has been a general lack of underwear :shock:

Unfortunately I have no excuse for this forgetfullness other than diminishing faculties due to age :cry:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • You totally need to keep an emergency set of every item of clothing in the office.

As a university lecturer its expected for you to be wearing moth eaten garb from yesteryear, so it need not be too much of a sacrifice from your weekend wardrobe!

:D
  • Sea_Green_Incorruptible
    edited February 2009
    Thing is, until about a month I ago I was the same. I had about three pairs of shoes, a suit and various items of clothing scattered about. I found I never actually needed them, while all the time my office looked more and more like Widow Twankey's Chinese Laundry. So I had a tidy up just in time for the wheels to fall off... :roll:

EDIT: @Alwaystyred. You are right of course. Motheaten is good in our trade. Brightly coloured Santini cycling tops less so. I keep getting 'looks', swiftly hidden.
  • I know it doesnt sound very classy. Last time i forgot to pack a shirt went out and bought another one. had a look around at new shirts didnt have that sort of money as it was towards the end of the month.

Short story even shorter. Charity shop................
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    You totally need to keep an emergency set of every item of clothing in the office.

Totally, dude. :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    You totally need to keep an emergency set of every item of clothing in the office.

Totally, dude. :lol:
    Are you, like, no, wait, yeah. Cool.
  • And not just spare clothes. I've got a spare towel (one of those tiny, ultra absorbent ones for camping and such) which I keep in my locker at work after having to drip dry on a couple of occasions. :lol:
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • ris
    ris Posts: 392
    i found i couldn't commute with even a lightly laden rucksack as my shoulders seized up, so take in a weeks worth of clothes once a week and swap over.

doesn't mean i haven't forgotten useful things like belts (walking around with my hands in my pockets to keep the trousers up!), but thankfully i've always been ok for underwear!

i am known around the office for never wearing shoes though, although i do keep a pair under my desk incase i need to pop out at lunch and don't want to walk to the shops in spd-sl's.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I'm known to be a bit absent-minded in the mornings. I think it was Monday I arrived at work to find my pannier was still wide open. Good job it hadn't rained!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    forgetting a shirt is pretty impressive...

I always set it up (collar stiffeners and cuffies) the night before and in the morning fold and I'm ready to go... needless to say I've managed to go commando a couple of times :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • I know it doesnt sound very classy. Last time i forgot to pack a shirt went out and bought another one. had a look around at new shirts didnt have that sort of money as it was towards the end of the month.

Short story even shorter. Charity shop................

TM Lewin always have a sale on - so cheap now it's hardly worth having them cleaned and pressed.
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    forgetting a shirt is pretty impressive...

I always set it up (collar stiffeners and cuffies) the night before and in the morning fold and I'm ready to go... needless to say I've managed to go commando a couple of times :lol:

Assos and Rapha bags are brilliant for carrying shirts in. Fold them carefully the night before and the few creases drop out pretty quickly. If you've got an early meeting nobody can see beneath your jacket in any case.
  • and there's STILL no news on my cracked Cervelo. :evil:

Not a happy bunny.

PM...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Lemonz
    Lemonz Posts: 4
    I tend to just cycle to work in jeans and t-shirt then change into my uniform when I get there. Wish I didn't have to wear so many layers while cycling, seem to sweat buckets when I arrive :evil:
    'Live Everyday Like It's Your Last'
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Cufflinks are my nemesis, always ending up with them all at home and nothing at work but cufflink requiring shirts. Still, easy to borrow those.

Logistcal failure with belt a few times (i.e. tube it home, ride it in forget belt), and yes, hands in pockets day!
  • prj45 wrote:
    Cufflinks are my nemesis, always ending up with them all at home and nothing at work but cufflink requiring shirts. Still, easy to borrow those.

Logistcal failure with belt a few times (i.e. tube it home, ride it in forget belt), and yes, hands in pockets day!

Thank heaven's for treasury tags eh :D Not the world's classiest cuff-link but its that or roll the sleeves up :wink:
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • prj45
    Thank heaven's for treasury tags eh :D Not the world's classiest cuff-link but its that or roll the sleeves up :wink:

You know, I don't think I've set eyes on a treasury tag for years, but yes, good idea.

Tie wraps too, used those before, bit wasteful thugh as you have to cut and discard them a the end of the day.

I normally just borrow cuff links out of somebody else's desk.

Talking about cufflinks, how about some cycle ones?

http://www.mensgiftshop.com/acatalog/cycling-gifts.html
  • prj45 wrote:

You know, I don't think I've set eyes on a treasury tag for years, but yes, good idea.

Tie wraps too, used those before, bit wasteful thugh as you have to cut and discard them a the end of the day.

I normally just borrow cuff links out of somebody else's desk.

Talking about cufflinks, how about some cycle ones?

http://www.mensgiftshop.com/acatalog/cycling-gifts.html

Bane of my life treasury tags! Nice link - may treat myself to the cuff links and the mug. And seriously tempted by the two way radio as part of a convoy to france in Summer and I'm probably the slowest of the riders :D
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • Jus13
    Jus13 Posts: 19
    Not exactly on thread - but had just been out for my Sunday morning ride this morning before taking my 3 year old swimming (went straight from the bike, in shorts - swimming shorts, to the car). Had the swim, then realised that I'd brought no trousers to change back into. Had to wring them out as much as possible, walk through the sports centre hoping nobody would notice and then drive home with a very cold and damp rear !!!

Oh well, the ride went well !!
    As Bruce Hornsby once said:

"That's the way it is !!"
  • prj45
    may treat myself to the cuff links and the mug.

Don't rush in, there ar some better one sout there

I like these:

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/ ... 3_18294995

And this, (which is a place the sells cycle jewlery).

http://www.headbadges.com/sitebuilderco ... flinks.jpg
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    prj45 wrote:
    may treat myself to the cuff links and the mug.

Don't rush in, there ar some better one sout there

I like these:

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/ ... 3_18294995

And this, (which is a place the sells cycle jewlery).

http://www.headbadges.com/sitebuilderco ... flinks.jpg

Eurghhhhh, that first link is a triple! :wink:

So far have only forgotten underwear and cufflinks. I had to butcher a shoe lace and tie knots in it to make up some cufflinks for a wedding once.

The worst was when I got to a wedding only to find I had forgotten my shoes. I spent the whole day in some whitish diesel trainers. The mother of the bride thought I was making a fashion statement and naturally thought I was a pillock then she heard that I had just forgotten my shoes and found it incredibly funny - still thought I was a pillock though!!!!!
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I am without pants today. I thought you should all know.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Nice day for some air cooling
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • LazyBoycp
    LazyBoycp Posts: 320
    Lovely weather, decided to cycle in. Knew I had work clothes in my locker, but brought in spare underwear & a shirt just in case. I didn't bother with spare trousers as they are always in my locker. Half a mile after setting off, my front derailleur fell apart, had to do the rest of the journey stuck in the big front ring. Got to work, opened my locker.............no trousers!! Had a shower, finished, came to dry myself off.................some git had nicked my towel!! Had to stroll out into the changing room butt naked, some idiot had my towel around his waist, looking all confused. He headed back to the showers, left it on a hook then ducked into a cubicle for a shower. I reacquired my towel. Then had to spend the first hour in the office wearing my work shirt, underwear......and my cycling shorts. Cue lots of chuckling from my work 'chums'. SWMBO arrived with spare trousers an hour later, had a row as she wanted me to meet her in reception....not a chance!!

I'm very disappointed, because I missed all this, what with being off ill. Could have been worse though - at least he wears baggies! :shock:
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    biondino wrote:
    I am without pants today. I thought you should all know.

Because it is your birthday, or just because?
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Because I am too old to remember them :(