Broken bottom bracket - only 1300 miles

bigbelly
bigbelly Posts: 83
edited February 2009 in Workshop
hi, I was stopped at traffic lights and the lights went green. It was an uphill start and I pushed off by putting all my weight on the left pedal. The pedal went all "soft" without translating into forward motion. End result? One crank was at the 12 o'clock position and the other ended up at the 11 o'clock position.

The BB is an FSA ISIS road bike model. It looks like the inside of the BB has split so both ends of the spindle have twisted in relation to each other. The spindle no longer soins freely and is really notchy. Is it normal for this to happen in around 1300 miles?

I weigh 82 ish kg's so not hugely overweight... before anyone asks! :wink:
shame the rider doesn't match the bike...

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Not normal but does happen.

what is the model of the crank? Or pics.

as the failure could be one of many different. (well 2 or 3 types).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • FSA Gossomer 170 mm. Chain was on the big ring, (53). I have to look up how to add pics. What pic do you need?
  • nicklouse
    pics how too in the clasifieds and the BR FAQ´s

So it is a crankset with external bearings.

If the drive side has stripped its self off the axle it could have been faulty. If it has stripped its self of the bolted side it could have come lose?

but if the axle has actually twisted....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • its a cartridge style BB. Nothing externally damaged. Seems twisted on the inside...
  • nicklouse
    I all i can say then is get it stripped and looked at.
    would be interesting to hear which fitting it is ISIS or Octalink and the bb make.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    a mate had a FSA ISIS snap in the same way - internally the axle sheared.

such is ISIS....

SKF have built up a good rep for their ISIS BBs. More expensive than, say, a FSA Platinum but a much longer lasting product so better value.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer