Richmond Park time difference

barney1000
barney1000 Posts: 16
I was just wondering what the general time difference between going clockwise or ant-clockwise was.
I'm currently going at a very slobbish 68 minutes for a three lap run clockwise as I actually enjoy broomfield hill I prefer this way but see that most three lap runs are anti-clock.

Comments

• Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Er...I don't really know. Does it matter really? :roll: It may depend on wind direction, motivation, lack of traffic, etc. The only thing thats important is that you gradually see you time falling and appear to be getting fitter. Most people in the RP challenge ride anti clockwise so unless everyone switches to clockwise its hard to say. I would imagine there will be much of a time difference
  • You answer as if I asked you directly. If you think it's a stupid question don't bother posting.
    I'm very aware of why I train and don't need a patronising answer.
  • I'm normally a little over a minute per lap slower going clockwise, if that's helpful.

(Best three laps anti 58:30).
  • Thanks Danseur. That gives me around 65 for three laps anti-clock. I still have some way to go to beat the magic hour. Well done with the 58:30
  • I think Toks was just saying that there is no right or wrong way round the park, the important thing is to get faster in which ever direction you ride.

My times are pretty even either way, but as I ride anti clockwise more often I'm more likely to hit perfect conditions. On average I'm about 30 seconds slower clockwise.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    I would imagine the design of the roundabouts at the various gates, particularly Richmond Gate, which requires a hard turn to get around it and slowing down to achieve that, would make the clockwise run slightly slower. Just the loss of momentum alone would be the worst part.

I should imagine also the different directions would have a slowing effect by whats in the route to deal with. Going anti, you have the climb up from Kingston gate, but at Broomfield get a longish drop down where you don't have to slow down much and can extend that out.

Going back the other way the benefit isn't quite there, sure enough a climb up Broomfield, but the drop down to Kingston gate is cut short by the roundabout at the bottom and the hard turn so you don't get the reward back to the same degree as the run down Broomfield.

Not quite swings and roundabouts?
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    My guess. 30 seconds per lap.

But significantly influenced by traffic at the roundabouts.
    Rich
  • Toks
    barney1000 wrote:
    You answer as if I asked you directly. If you think it's a stupid question don't bother posting.
    I'm very aware of why I train and don't need a patronising answer.
    Oh dear, sorry didn't mean to patronise you. You didn't indicate whether you've tried the clock wise and already you've had three differnt answers: 1min, 30, 3 mins and 30 secs. :?
  • barney1000
    Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:58 pm Post subject: Richmond Park time difference
    I was just wondering what the general time difference between going clockwise or ant-clockwise was.
    I'm currently going at a very slobbish 68 minutes for a three lap run clockwise as I actually enjoy broomfield hill I prefer this way but see that most three lap runs are anti-clock.

In the original post I do indicate that I have been doing the RP loop. I simply wanted a rough comparison to the anti-clock route to gauge my comparative fitness and to see if I was on track with my training. By having achievable goals I find it gives me a target to aim for and makes me put in the extra effort required.
  • Toks
    barney1000 wrote:

In the original post I do indicate that I have been doing the RP loop. I simply wanted a rough comparison to the anti-clock route to gauge my comparative fitness and to see if I was on track with my training. By having achievable goals I find it gives me a target to aim for and makes me put in the extra effort required.
    Oops my bad!! That will teach me to post, answer the phone and watch Sky News all at the same time. I look forward to seeing your times in the Richmond Park 3 lap Challenge :D