Someone targeting cyclists?

donrhummy
donrhummy Posts: 2,329
edited February 2009 in Pro race
I've read recently (the past year or so) about a lot of cycling teams and cyclists having things stolen from them while they're at a race. Most recently, Astana had a bunch of bikes stolen. And now Dave Zabriskie had his house broken into while at the Tour of Cali. And apparently, they stole his car, bikes, everything.

http://twitter.com/dzabriskie

What's going on? Is it simply a case of easy pickings?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    easy pickings.

if they know you are away and you have money..... like the footballer in the news today.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    i suppose with the pros that use twitter often they are telling the world that they are going training for 4 hours or leaving the house so it isn't hard to nick their stuff
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Plus those " At home with...." type interviews show the world what toys you have.

If "Slow Old Feckers Monthly" ever come to do a feature on me, I'll make sure that there's at least one picture showing "LangerDan, with some of his ill-treated and underfed Rottweilers"
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • donrhummy
    It is weird though because it's not just the cyclists at home. A number of teams have been robbed either during a race or during training camps.
  • donrhummy
    They really cleaned out Zabriskie. I'm wondering why he didn't have a security system installed (or if he did, when he'll be suing them).

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... /feb25news
    Items stolen include the following:
    Black 2008 Subaru Outback, Utah plate A189NC
    Black 2006 Toyota Scion, Utah plate 094VWM
    Giro D Italia Race Medal (approx. 6" circumference)
    Olympic Seiko watch
    Beijing Olympic ring (silver) with initials "DZ" engraved ($4,000)
    Olympic Time Trial Bike, plus 12 other bikes (combined value of $100,000)
    Cervélo (black/red) bike frame - team issued ($5000)
    Tag Heuer watch ($6,000)
    Bose Speaker/Receiver System ($15,000)
    Sony 52" flat screen TV ($4,000)
    Two Mac Books and one Mac desktop, plus hard drive ($8,000)
    A pair of Space legs, a recovery compression system for legs ($5,000)
    7 Marvel sideshow statues ($11,000)
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Let's hope he had contents insurance. Poor bloke, he's known to be a more vulnerable than average rider, I hope this doesn't put him on too much of a downer with some big races coming up as he's a real character and makes the sport more fun.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Pretty bad. The story about Fletcher was pretty bad too! http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 799074.ece

Knife point! Not fun.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • LangerDan wrote:
    Plus those " At home with...." type interviews show the world what toys you have.

If "Slow Old Feckers Monthly" ever come to do a feature on me, I'll make sure that there's at least one picture showing "LangerDan, with some of his ill-treated and underfed Rottweilers"
    Well Dan, they have already approached me about a photoshoot. I need to borrow your dogs and a human arm for them to be feeding on. I bet the people who owned the stray horses in Dublin could rent us both items.
    Dan
  • Well, these guys keep inviting people into their homes for photo-ops. The timing after the Pro Cycling story isn't coincidental-all of the stuff stolen can be seen in that article.

Whoever stole that stuff is a cycling fan, he knew what was there, and when to do it.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think he did an interview in the last month or so with all his kit on show. Its hardly an invitation to rob the poor guy blind though. Thieving gits.
  • donrhummy
    cougie wrote:
    I think he did an interview in the last month or so with all his kit on show. Its hardly an invitation to rob the poor guy blind though. Thieving gits.

Wasn't really an interview, it was more advertisements for dznuts.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    They've arrested someone now

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=5698420
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The link describes the suspect:
    Roll's arrest last night was his second that day. When officers saw him with Zabriskie's stolen car, he had only been out of jail for several hours. Earlier in the day, Roll was seen peeking in windows and trying doors of houses in this area of 2200 East and 2100 South. He left the area on a bus, but officers spotted the bus five blocks away and arrested him. Police say Roll had broken into a car and had a stolen car stereo and an ID belonging to a woman. He was taken to jail for vehicle burglary and for four warrants but was released shortly afterward because of overcrowding.
    I'm looking forward to DennisN coming here and saying "look, you don't know him, I'd need to sink a few beers with Roll before making up my mind". :wink:
  • donrhummy
    A couple of things...

1. Is this not odd to anyone else? What the heck was going on such that cops watched him get into the car multiple times? Why not arrest him the first time?
    Officers then saw Arthur Roll walk out of the house and get in to the car a couple of times.

2. Since they didn't find the rest of Dave Z's stuff, I wonder if publicizing this is a good idea. Won't the other people involved dump all his stuff?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Sounds like Snake off the Simpsons. Out of Jail - straight into crime again.