good passes / cols in France

Dr M
Dr M Posts: 171
edited February 2009 in The bottom bracket
trynig to sort out a a 10 day trip on the road bike in the French alps. I'll have a car to transport the bike around, and am looking for a few 'must do' passes....

so far i was thinking of:
Mont Ventoux (? best direction to do it from?)
Col du Telegraphe + Galibier
Col d'Iseran from Bourg st Maurice
Alp d'huez

I'm only after a handful to do, and i know theres loads of them so just wondered what people reccommend!

Cheers

Comments

• Best place for Ventoux I think is to stay in Malaucene - there is a campsite right at the foot of the climb (as in, literally on the first corner before the flat turns to uphill) - that is quite nice.

Lots of nice restaurants in Malaucene too - and if you want a recovery ride it's a nice journey out through to the vineyards to Orange and back.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Dr M wrote:
    trynig to sort out a a 10 day trip on the road bike in the French alps. I'll have a car to transport the bike around, and am looking for a few 'must do' passes....

so far i was thinking of:
    Mont Ventoux (? best direction to do it from?)
    Col du Telegraphe + Galibier
    Col d'Iseran from Bourg st Maurice
    Alp d'huez

I'm only after a handful to do, and i know theres loads of them so just wondered what people reccommend!

Cheers

Of the above, I've done them all except Iseran (but a mate did that one recently, too).

Ventoux is the hardest, and iconic. From Bedoin, the bit through the trees is almost as gruelling as the lunar landscape after the Chalet Reynard.
    Telegraphe + Galibier is just a great ride until the last 8k where it is also a hard climb.
    Alpe d'Huez is easier than the two above but a "must do" for its status in the sport. If you are timing your climb, don't stop at the first cafe (despite the festive appearance of it being the finish); push on through the village to the real finish at the ski lifts.
    Iseran (I am told) is a classic energy sapping climb, long and arduous so that you know you've had a ride when you get to the top.

I would really like to do the Bonette from Jausiers, having driven it last year. The scenery on the way up is stunning and the summit is the highest you will get in France.

Further North, the Cormet de Roselend is a good one (although I blew up before the top and had to turn back :oops: )

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Doom
    Doom Posts: 133
    I can't speak highly enough of the Three Valleys area. Over 7 days we road Col de la Madeleine, Cormet de Roselend, Courchevel, Les Arcs and a host of other stunning climbs in the area.

Roseland is the most rewarding climb with Les Arc and the Madeleine being the toughest.

I have stayed in Bourg D'Oison as well around Alp D'Huez and all roads seem to head up but in terms of access and enjoyment the Three Valleys wins hands down.
    FCN: 4
  • How far is it from the Galibier/Telegraph area down to Ventoux?

I'm staying close to Alp d'Heuz is the summer and was wondering if a trip to Ventoux could also be possible.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    What about the Pyrenees?
    The Aubisque aand the Tourmalet should be on anyone's shortlist. Some of the less well known passes are also very beautiful.
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    How far is it from the Galibier/Telegraph area down to Ventoux?

I'm staying close to Alp d'Heuz is the summer and was wondering if a trip to Ventoux could also be possible.

Starting at Bourg, it's easy-you can ride it. Bourg, Glandon, Telegraph/Galibier, Izoard, Vars, then cross country to Sisteron, (some lovely cols). then an easy route going due west, to Montbrun, and your choice of Ventoux ascents
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Col d'Revard - did it with my dad - magic!

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Croix de fer rules them all in my book (with a side serving of the Glandon on the way up). Nice day trip from Bourg D'
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body