Morale killer.

teagar
teagar Posts: 2,100
edited March 2009 in The bottom bracket
Had a bit of a morale killer today.

Just started riding with the uni cycling club again last week, having taken the winter out with a heavily bruised rib (and not wanting to kill myself on the snow). Went out with the slower of the two groups last week and totally died about 2hrs in - luckily some friendly riders helped me out. Still enjoyed it though!

Met up with the club today however and only the guys from the fastest group were there. Within 10 minutes I was already flying off the back. They kept stopping for me at the top of all the little hills, but as soon as it went uphill again I was straight off the back. I was turning myself inside out to try and hang on. Even had a guy hang back so I could suck his wheel but even that didn't work. Then the wind and rain whipped up. That guy had to help push me up a steep hill. Horrible.

Eventually I couldn't bare it anymore, and felt bad for holding back the guy who was helping me, since he seems really bloody fast. Crawled home on my own, got very cold and wet, after only 30 mins total riding.

Depressing.

Edit: I'd been looking forward to going out for a long(for me!) club ride all week as well :(.
Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.

Comments

• MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Doesn't feel good does it? I had a similar experience in the Peak last weekend, with a mate who's been getting out a lot more than me lately. I've been avoiding group rides till I can get back up to speed again- just keep at it!
  • teagar
    MrChuck wrote:
    Doesn't feel good does it? I had a similar experience in the Peak last weekend, with a mate who's been getting out a lot more than me lately. I've been avoiding group rides till I can get back up to speed again- just keep at it!

Was in the peaks for me too :).

I find it hard to motivate myself to do the long 2hr+ rides on my own!
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    You have my sympathy

One of the reasons I've never been out with a club is that I couldn't stand having a bunch of people I didn't know very well waiting at the top of a hill for me. I'd rather turn round and drag my sorry ass off home alone

regards.jpgfrom.jpgsnakehips.jpg
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • I'm with Jake on this one. I went out with a local club a couple of weekends recently. Managed to keep up at the beginning but faded later. I did learn that while they were probably working in zone 2 I was nearer zone 3-4 to keep up even hanging on the back. Once they upped the pace heading for home I was dropped. It has made me more determined to try and achieve a similar level.
    2 Wheels or not 2 wheels..That is not in question.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    teagar wrote:
    Eventually I couldn't bare it anymore, and felt bad for holding back the guy who was helping me, since he seems really bloody fast. Crawled home on my own, got very cold and wet, after only 30 mins total riding.

Depressing.

Edit: I'd been looking forward to going out for a long(for me!) club ride all week as well :(.

take the pain, take the kickings and come back stronger next time. Getting dropped used to give me a sick feeling, but every time it happens you are improving and in three months (if you keep taking the 'punishment') you will be staying with them.
  • Hmmm... I've never been out on a training ride with a group... Bit I have raced a bit (at Upavon if anyone is interested) and constantly get dropped. Like, all the time. I'm off for a week soon to cycle round in North Wales with a bunch of FIT guys, so am probably gonna be the sorry ass fat-boy (I speak for myself) hanging out on the many hills... :oops:

Ahh well... Can only get better... 8)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Hmmm... I've never been out on a training ride with a group... Bit I have raced a bit (at Upavon if anyone is interested) and constantly get dropped. Like, all the time. I'm off for a week soon to cycle round in North Wales with a bunch of FIT guys, so am probably gonna be the sorry ass fat-boy (I speak for myself) hanging out on the many hills... :oops:

Ahh well... Can only get better... 8)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Sorry - I read that as you went out with the unicycling group - that would have been a sight !

Just hang in there - consistency is the key - so ride 2 or 3 times a week and you'll be improving in leaps and bounds !
  • cougie wrote:
    Sorry - I read that as you went out with the unicycling group - that would have been a sight !

Just hang in there - consistency is the key - so ride 2 or 3 times a week and you'll be improving in leaps and bounds !

+1

I've had a terrible winter, what with colds and coughs interrupting single weeks on the bike. I've just completed my second week with 2x 50 mile round trips to work each week and a couple of weekend clubruns. The first week was bloody slow, trying to stick to level 2. This week, however, is much better, with me being able to stay with level 2 much easier and still be 10 minutes faster on each leg of the journey.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • teagar
    Cheers for the sympathy guys.

It's tough to find time to get out for more than an hour at a time a couple times a week aside from the once a week wednesday group outings at the moment. The dissertation is in in 5 weeks...

I think I'll have to wait untill easter before I really give training the beans.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    What uni club is this?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • teagar wrote:

It's tough to find time to get out for more than an hour at a time a couple times a week aside from the once a week wednesday group outings at the moment. The dissertation is in in 5 weeks...

I think I'll have to wait untill easter before I really give training the beans.

You got a turbo? A hard hour on the turbo can be much better training than fannying about on the road for an hour.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    teagar wrote:

Just fit in 15 minutes here and there in the mean time surely?

I've never been into group riding. Just do it for my own fun or to get from a to b.. I think you have to put a little time in to get fit enough to ride in a group like that. :)
  • teagar
    Sheffield uni.

Takes me about 15 mins just to put my gear on and get out of the house.

Alas I don't have a turbo - can't afford it! Decided to go for the winter weather clothes over the turbo.

*sighs*, it'll be alright come summer.
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    downfader wrote:
    I've never been into group riding. Just do it for my own fun or to get from a to b.. I think you have to put a little time in to get fit enough to ride in a group like that. :)

Larger clubs will often split into two groups, one for the speed freaks, one for us normal people :)

A local cycle group may be better than the uni one as it will have a range of abilities (and will, more importantly know the cafes that do good cakes) - ask at your LBS. Just stick with it for a few weeks and you'll start to see an improvement even if you only do the club run once a week.

I joined a club when I got to the stage where training on my own was too boring and spent the first few weeks wondering what people looked like from the front/side but I got there.

Now is a good time to start as people will be starting to emerge from their winter hibernation, so if you're lucky you'll get a head start.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    As described above, it might be better to join the local club rather than the uni club.

I joined Manchester wheelers instead of the uni club and I feel better for it, far more organized than the uni club, and more riders and more rides to choose from.

I've got a crappy turbo but I'd much rather do a "Willhub" and go out riding in the dark.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr