Changing the springs in RS domains, how difficult?

tompug
tompug Posts: 227
edited February 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
The springs in my bro's RS domains are a bit too soft for him, he's bottoming them out on drops over 3ft.
How difficult are they to change? I have the oil and probably most, if not all the tools to do the job. I'm just a bit apprehensive and can't find any tutorials on the net. :cry:

Comments

• even with the compression damping dialed in a bit?
  • IS he just hooooooge?

IIRC you need to undo the bolt at the bottom of the left (from rider view) about halfway, tap it gently with a rubber mallet to drain the oil then use a six sided socket to undo the top cap and remove the spring.

However wait for confirmation. In fact i'm pretty sure it is in the bikes and gear section of the workshop under fork tuning as they did coil spring servicing a while back, have a search there.
  • tompug
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    even with the compression damping dialed in a bit?

I don't think it has compression damping, it's the 302 uturn model. He's only 10 stone, bike weights 36lbs in a large frame.

He say's it's more like 5-6ft when it's a problem. Besides it still needs doing as he wants to hit some bigger drops but can't as he bottoms out.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you can download all the info from srams webby.

But i think it is more likely to be fork setting and or your bros riding style.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tompug
    Hmmm just had a quick look at the RS spring chart, he's supposedly on the light side of the standard uturn coil? Something isn't right, oil levels in the lowers legs perhaps low? I'm no expert.

There are no settings to be changed or tweaked as far as I'm aware, there is rebound on the bottom of the leg and thats it, other than the u-turn on the top of the left leg. the top of right leg has a blank cap.

I found a good tutorial abeit using pikes on changing the spring. It's fairly straight foreward.
  • where did you find the size chart for the forks? i've been looking but can't see in on the sram site :(
  • nicklouse
    Ok the 302 does have internal preload. add a bit.

but i would let him get out there and use the bike.

Ben tech documentation.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • hmm i've found the air pressure req for different weight (in the domain manual) but theres no mention of spring type, unless i'm missing something of course.
  • tompug
    nicklouse wrote:
    Ok the 302 does have internal preload. add a bit.

but i would let him get out there and use the bike.

Ben tech documentation.

I'm being a bit thick here but how and where on the fork do I do that?
  • nicklouse
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is it a coil uturn or just the fixed coil?
  • tompug
    supersonic wrote:
    Is it a coil uturn or just the fixed coil?

coil u-turn 302
  • nicklouse
    no preload on that then.
  • tompug
    Ah ffs, I knew it didn't. I mentioned it was 302 uturn in my second post.
  • nicklouse
    Is he landing to flat?

PS not easy to see the U-turn :wink:
  • This might explain a few things....
    rob cole wrote:
    if you've ridden both the Domain 302 and the Domain 318 you would realise there is no comparison - you are not "saving money" by buying the 302, you are buying an inferior fork with a poor quality damper, that has been slated in numerous bike test when its been fitted to complete production bikes...

one of our import bikes, the Devinci Frantik 1, was slated for using this very fork the Domain 302, MBUK said it was well worth going for the Frantik 2 with its superior fork....

I've ridden the 302 and 318 and the 302 is just like the Marzocchi drop-off or Junior T forks in that its fine until you start pushing yoursel or going quick over repeated hits, and then the deffiencies are very obvious

most riders buying a fork like a 302 or Junior T end up having to pay more to change it out a few months down the line....cheap suspension forks ruin the potential of a bike, and this is more important on a hardtail as its all you've got
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    hmm i've found the air pressure req for different weight (in the domain manual) but theres no mention of spring type, unless i'm missing something of course.
    Is this what you were looking for?
    http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/service/ ... _chart.pdf
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There appears to be no high speed damping circuit in the 302. I think there used to be.
  • Xtreem wrote:
    hmm i've found the air pressure req for different weight (in the domain manual) but theres no mention of spring type, unless i'm missing something of course.
    Is this what you were looking for?
    http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/service/ ... _chart.pdf

aye perfect cheers mate :) looks like I should swap out a spring as i'm a bit heavier, but i'm not having problems as yet... I actually like how the fork is :)