New Bike choice. Confused by Carbon Frames

lochindaal
lochindaal Posts: 475
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
I am looking at a new bike with a budget of ~£1200. I was hoping to upgrade my Specialized Allez to a carbon option. I will be using it for Sportives and the Etape this year.

Once bought I am unlikely to ever go out and upgrade the components further.

Most discussions regarding groupsets seem to be from (Shimano) 105 to Ultegra you really can't tell much difference so therefore that suggests the frame would be the key difference.

A Spec Roubaix seems a good option but then there is a different level of Carbon for every model and with my budget I am at the bottom. 6r or 7r.

The Trek Madone 4.7 2008 has some good sale prices but this is the TCT carbon as opposed to the OCLV on the bikes higher up the range.

Finally Planet X always get good write ups on here but is that just because of the groupsets that are included at a comparitively low price?

I am totally confused which is the best way to go. I could probably test ride them all and notice a difference from what I have now. Are they all like for like or does one stand out?

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    if you were happy with your allez then I'd say go for a roubaix - similar geometry, slightly higher head tube - don't worry too much about the 6r v 7r etc - the roubaix elite could be had for £999 recently (2008 model - might be sold out though - try the concept stores) - leaves £200 for decent pedals plus a top set of tyres - sorted.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    You need to try them. Carbon frames can have very different ride characteristics. Some are like boards while others almost feel to have suspension. Far more difference than aluminium ones. Scot are reputedly harsh while Trek and the Spec Roubaix are very smooth. Check which are in your budget that you like the look of and research their characteristics (on here is as good as anywhere). Your OP is a bit too open ended for useful comment.