Shimano 7 speed STI's Help

stoobydale
stoobydale Posts: 535
edited February 2009 in Workshop
Could someone please help? All my bikes are fitted with Campagnolo groupsets of which I am farmiliar, however I have voulenteered myself to fix my dad's bike that is fitted with 7 speed Shimano. I don't even know which type because it is partially worn away it looks something like "FSR" I appreciate that they are not servicable but how do I get them apart to check/change the cables? They have an allen bolt in the front, but I think that I read somewhere not to remove this, but I can't find anything else even under the hood.

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    They might be RSX, like the ones I am selling on this thread.

If so, do not undo the allen bolt (you will have misery as a result). To get the cable out, make sure the levers are set to the highest gear (for the right, rear shifter) or to the lowest gear (for the left, front shifter). With the brakes loosened via the quick release lever on the calipers, squeeze the brake levers and you will see the hole where the cable nipple is - push the cable through this, towards you and it should pop out. (Do not cut the cable at the point it enters the lever or you won't have anything to push on).
  • alfablue
    This is how it looks on an Ultegra shifter, similar to the RSX

nipple.jpg
  • Thanks that was quick. RSX that's the ones. RH lever won't change down the block (to smallest gear) Can I take them apart?
  • alfablue
    If you take them apart small springs will fly away and you will spend hours or days to reassemble, even if you find the spring. It sounds like a worn/gunked cable problem to me - try new cables (inners and outers).
  • Thanks for the help. Now fixed, it was a sticking cable in the loop near the deraileur. Easy to spot once it was on the stand. :D
  • alfablue
    It usually is that bit! Once they start sticking I find lubing it helps for a short while, but sooner or later new cables will be needed. Glad you didn't take the shifter apart!