Reasonable Weight for FS XC MTB.

IcarusGreen
IcarusGreen Posts: 1,486
edited March 2009 in XC and Enduro
I have a CBoardman Mtb FS Comp coming in at 29.1 Ibs. But my question is what's a good weight for FS XC Mtb's and what could i be looking at getting the weight down to with some reasonable upgrades.
+ 1001 posts reset by the cruel cruel moderators!

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
Giant SCR 02 (2006)

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    That's not a bad weight (I assume it's the manufacturer's weight, which is usually without pedals & using a small frame)

Weight loss on bike can cost a lot of money, cheapest things are usually tyres (might save 0.5 lb.

You could lose a couple of lb, but it would cost a fair bit.

What is the spec of the bike as it is now?
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    Depends on the size of your wallet, I'd say anything from 27 - 30 LBS is fine for trail riding for a reasonable budget, if cash isn't a problem you can get down to early 20s!
  • Andy B
    M6TTF wrote:
    Depends on the size of your wallet, I'd say anything from 27 - 30 LBS is fine for trail riding for a reasonable budget, if cash isn't a problem you can get down to early 20s!
    Probably not with the frame he has though, I'd have thought more like 26-27lb.

My Orange 5 weighs in at 28lb (6.6lb frame & shock) & it's got some fairly high end kit on it (X9, carbon bars, Thomson, Hope....) OK it's a longer travel bike, but unless I spend shed loads more it's not getting much lighter then 28lb.
  • maurice
    maurice Posts: 151
    Yup, I'd be happy with that weight.

My Kona Dawg is 31lbs, this is with XT/XTR and 717/XT wheels!

It rides nice enough and is light enough to finish mid-class in an XC 'Open' race, so 29lbs should be decent for general XC I think.
  • IcarusGreen
    The spec is http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtbfs/fs_comp.html

The weight is on a Med without pedals and the bike is standard (at the moment).

Thanks for the advice, I'll concentrate on getting the ride right and not worry about losing any Ibs from the bike (I'll try to lose some from myself).

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • IcarusGreen
    Frame Lightweight 4 bar linkage full suspension frame with 120mm travel and butted tubing
    Rear Shock RockShox Ario 2.1 Air shock with adjustable rebound damping
    Fork RockShox Recon 335 Air, 120mm travel, adjustable rebound damping & lockout
    Headset Semi integrated cartridge bearing
    Spacers Full carbon 4x5mm, 1x10mm
    Stem Ritchey OS 31.8mm
    Handlebars Ritchey Rizer OS 31.8mm
    Seatpost Ritchey 31.6mm
    Saddle cboardman, Cro-Mo rails
    Brakes Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes, 160mm rotors
    Shifters SRAM X5 9 speed
    Rear Mech SRAM X7
    Front Mech SRAM X5
    Cassette SRAM PG950 11-32T
    Chain Shimano HG-73
    Chainset Truvativ Firex 3.1 GXP 44/32/22T
    Bottom Bracket Truvativ GXP
    Rims Ritchey Pro Disc 32H
    Hubs Sealed bearings
    Spokes Stainless steel double butted black
    Tyres Continental Speed King 2.1”
    Pedals Alloy platform
    Weight* 29.1 lbs

*approx weight based on medium excl pedals

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    Andy_B wrote:
    M6TTF wrote:
    Probably not with the frame he has though, I'd have thought more like 26-27lb.

My Orange 5 weighs in at 28lb (6.6lb frame & shock) & it's got some fairly high end kit on it (X9, carbon bars, Thomson, Hope....) OK it's a longer travel bike, but unless I spend shed loads more it's not getting much lighter then 28lb.

Yep, sorry I wasn't referring to his bike, just what weights are possible in the 'trail' sector if money is no object.
  • IcarusGreen
    The first item that is going is the RockShox Ario 2.1 Air shock as it seems to be one of the few 'let down' areas of the standard bike.

So my next question is what i should replace it with

thinking of a Rockshox monarch 4.2 or 3.3

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=categ ... goryId=140

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • Andy B
    You'll need to get one with the same eye to eye length & stroke length.

I've not used RS shocks before, I've used Manitou (Swinger air 3 way) & Fox (RP23), so cannot comment on them. The Fox RP23 is a superb shock, if a little pricey ;)
  • IcarusGreen
    Ye, the RP23 is a bitout of my price range unless i can pick one up 2nd hand.

The Swinger air 3 way is a bit nearer what i'm going to spend

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • xgeek
    xgeek Posts: 117
    The first item that is going is the RockShox Ario 2.1 Air shock as it seems to be one of the few 'let down' areas of the standard bike.

So my next question is what i should replace it with

thinking of a Rockshox monarch 4.2 or 3.3

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=categ ... goryId=140

I have been looking at the new Boardman FS range and I have gotta ask why you went for the comp if you wanted to change the rear shock? For £130 more you could have bought the team version that comes with a monarch 3.1, plus better front fork, MUCH better brakes, better gears and better finishing kit. :shock:

Seems strange not to buy what you wanted in the first place as it is much cheaper that way. :?
  • IcarusGreen
    I bought the bike with the money I had at the time and the plan of only changing things as they broke but i just can't seem to get the ride right on the shock.

Besides, by the time i've sold the Ario 2.1 the upgrade will only cost me about £50 from my own pocket.

Oh - and i always seem to get the modifying bug.

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The spec is very even - so big weight changes are going to cost.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Nothing obviously wrong and expensive to make it lighter, for example:

XT Chainset - 100g saved - £120
    Rebas - 200g saved - £300
    XT 11-32 Cassette - 100g saved - £45
    XT Wheelset - at least 200g I bet - you can save another 200g on top of this if you spend more - £270
    Tubeless tyres - should save about 150g, allowing for heavier tyres - £50
    Carbon Bars - 150g assuming your bars are the Ritchey Pro Rizers, they're oddly heavy - £60

2lbs saved for £845, hehe. Cassette would be the only obvious thing on the list, if the bike is new you won't need a new chain.
  • toasty
    edited February 2009
    Nothing obviously wrong and expensive to make it lighter, for example:

XT Chainset - 100g saved - £120
    Rebas - 200g saved - £300
    XT 11-32 Cassette - 100g saved - £45
    XT Wheelset - at least 200g I bet - you can save another 200g on top of this if you spend more - £270
    Tubeless tyres - should save about 150g, allowing for heavier tyres - £50
    Carbon Bars - 150g assuming your bars are the Ritchey Pro Rizers, they're oddly heavy - £60

2lbs saved for £845, hehe. Cassette and bars would be the only obvious things on the list, if the bike is new you won't need a new chain to swap cassette.
  • Standard epic comp 26lbs with crank bros candy, thinking of fitting rovals to lower the rolling weight
  • toasty
    2008 epic wrote:
    Standard epic comp 26lbs with crank bros candy, thinking of fitting rovals to lower the rolling weight

Is that claimed weight? ;)

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=493254
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=376216
  • daveb
    daveb Posts: 4,137
    Rocky Mountain ETS-X 70 built for more gnarly riding 31lbs
    Giant Anthem-X 1 built for racing 24lbs (with some cash could get it pretty easily down to 22 lbs.
    Cotic Soul for general trail riding 26 lbs
    Daveb
  • No, i weighed it my self on reuban heaton calibrated scales.
    Its a large 08 model
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have just done a bit of research on weightweenies site and for a £1000 I reckon you could lose 3.5 pounds in weight

Thing is will that 3.5 pounds make a thousand pound difference to your riding. Best to replace bits as they wear out with the best you can afford at the time and keep the scales away from your bike :wink:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • jamesst
    jamesst Posts: 322
    pbpic3076022.jpg

Think my bike origanally was around the 32.5 lbs mark, major change were the dt swiss wheels along with other upgrades, the forks made a major difference too, now weighs in at around 27.5lbs and flies along,well doeswhilst the chain aint constantly snapping (thats another story)
  • I just built up a Cannondale Rush thats approx 23 pounds, although it is top end gear on it. I saved a lot on it compared to paying Cannondale for the pleasure though. :D
  • I just built up a Cannondale Rush thats approx 23 pounds, although it is top end gear on it. I saved a lot on it compared to paying Cannondale for the pleasure though. :D
  • JxL
    JxL Posts: 383
    Wow, your FS weighs less than my hardtail! :)
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I just built up a Cannondale Rush thats approx 23 pounds, although it is top end gear on it. I saved a lot on it compared to paying Cannondale for the pleasure though. :D

After all that I bet my wallet weighs more than your bike :lol:

It is addictive buying shiny things isnt it 8)
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap