Ultegra 9 spd Cassette compatible with tiagra?

mrdoofer
mrdoofer Posts: 71
edited February 2009 in Workshop
I've just installed a 9 speed ultegra cassette on my bike, everything else on it is Tiagra (shiters, front/rear mech) just expeiriencing some chattering on the gears that are in the middle of the casstte. I've adjusted cable tension, to no avail. Just thought I'd ask if there are compatability issues before I give the cables an overhaul, check if the chain is worn. Thanks.

Comments

• Al_38
    Al_38 Posts: 277
    assuming the shifters are 9spd, it should work fine
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you may have to reset the H and L screws and possibly the b tension screw.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • For a while I thought it required a super narrow chain, the one on there now is a sram chain. Thanks for the advice, the limit screws are fine, no chattering in the highest and lowest gears, I'll check the b tension screw tomorrow.
  • nicklouse
    it is all 9spd kit? then it should be fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    The supplied wheels with my Allez Sport '06 (Tiagra 9-speed) came with a Tiagra cassette. Whenever I've bought replacement wheels for it, be it DT Swiss 1850s, Mavic Aksiums or Fulcrums Racing 7s, I've chucked a 9-speed Ultegra 6500 cassette on all of them and they've so far been perfectly indexed.

Sheer luck?
  • nicklouse
    Lagavulin
    a bit of luck. or just hubs built well to the same tolerances.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Thought as much.

Gear indexing must be one of the few areas I am having luck with as I've since had the 1850s converted to Campag to run on my Wilier and they too were indexed perfectly (both Fulcrum Racings 3s and DT's running a Centaur cassette).
  • nicklouse
    I have a feeling that Road hubs tend to be a bit better than MTB as i would say that 95% of the time a new hub/cassette will need a tweek for the gears and the disc.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    mrdoofer wrote:
    I've just installed a 9 speed ultegra cassette on my bike, everything else on it is Tiagra (shiters, front/rear mech) just expeiriencing some chattering on the gears that are in the middle of the casstte. I've adjusted cable tension, to no avail. Just thought I'd ask if there are compatability issues before I give the cables an overhaul, check if the chain is worn. Thanks.
    This would suggest that you might not have changed the chain.
    I would always fit a new chain when fitting a new cassette.