Bottom bracket stuck!

hellsteeth54
hellsteeth54 Posts: 111
edited February 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok just spent a frustrating hour trying to remove me bottom bracket.

Removed the cup from the non-drive side first, as stated by Mr Park Tools, But the other side is just jammed solid. To be honest, the multi-splined socket only sits about 2mm into cup, so just slips before I can get maximum leverage.

Any tips or tricks?

Oh, and I am turning it the opposite way (righty loosey)!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    put the non drive side back in to suport the axle.

and then use more force. you can clamp the tool in place with a Rear Qr lever. to help get things moving.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • you can clamp the tool in place with a Rear Qr lever. to help get things moving.

Yeah that was mentioned in my book, but unfortunately my BB isn't hollow. Plus I'm using an Ice Toolz tool kit, which has been pretty good for most things, but when I took the multi-splined socket out I realised you have to attach a square drive/hex adaptor, and then fit a large hex key. This means I'm pulling at quite a distance from the cup, probably making the slipping problem worse.

Will try fitting non-drive cup and giving my wee muscles a pep talk.[/quote]
  • nicklouse
    you could buy one of these.

http://www.bikepartsplace.com/products/ ... et-holder/
    31966739.jpg

no but it will support the bb and then there is less chance of twisting.

Oh plus gas it overnight and see if that help.

TBH i would be LBSing it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Soak it in Duck oil over night and get as much leverage as possible.
    Dave
  • Ok thanks for the advice nick, I still can't budge it. Frustrating! In fact doubly so cos I've just brought bike back from LBS, had new fork fitted. :D But also discovered it needed a new headset which cost a fortune! :(

The BB was summat I thought I could handle, oh well.

What do you mean by "gas it" btw?
  • nicklouse
    "Plus Gas" google it.

it is a very good release agent.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    +1 for Plus Gas, you know how most people think WD40 makes a good penetrating oil? This stuff is actually as good as WD40 isn't. It's been a total lifesaver for me over the years.

Is there any point in trying a freeze release spray on a BB? Or are the parts just too big to get the fast temperature shifts needed?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Borrow/buy a bb tool that you can use with an adjustable spanner,. then use a 12"/15" adj spanner on it, secure it in place using large washer and crank bolt (hand tight should do).
  • Ok just got hold of some plus gas and also bought a square drive t-bar, will give that a go this evening. Reckon if I lie bike on side then I can use my weight to keep bb tool in place.

Will let ya know results later!
  • Its out!!! :D

With the aid of copious amounts of plus gas, the large t-bar, an assistant and a large hammer, it finally budged. Are BBs commonly as tight as this?? I've got some copper slip ready to fit the replacement ( there was no grease at all on the threads, from original assembly.)

Thanks for all the advice everyone, expect another thread tomorrow on assembly troubles! :oops:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yeah, they are when you have been turning it the wrong way all day haha!

Sorry mate, got to laught, done it myself more than once!
  • supersonic wrote:
    Yeah, they are when you have been turning it the wrong way all day haha!

Sorry mate, got to laught, done it myself more than once!

Shhhhh, don't tell anyone....
  • mine was stuck solind into the frame too, as you, soaked in plus gas a few times, had an adjustable head wrnech on it with the handle locked with a maul wrnech abd a bar to get the b#gger off! mucho satidfication when it started to move!!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Ok last question on this, promise!

I have just finished fitting the replacement bottom bracket, went to shop today to make sure I got the right size and all that. The thing is, when its fitted, the non-drive (plastic) cup doesnt sit flush to the frame, there's maybe a mm or 2 gap. Obviously this can change if i back it out from the drive side, but I figured it was best to have this side sitting flush.

I'm sure I've seen a guide somewhere that says this is quite normal, but cant find it now so may have imagined it! So maintenance gurus, is it a problem?

Cheers.
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    edited February 2009
    It's normal & not a problem ^

Oh btw I always use stu8975's method on stuck/tight bb's, washer (I use a flat cone spanner with a bolt sized hole in) & bolt holding the tool on, big spanner & a hammer. A few whacks to shock free it & they generally come out.
  • nicklouse
    back out the drive side and make sure the non drive is going on right. when it is in mosty of the way (you can tell it is seated right in the bb.) tighten the drive side home and then the non drive side. then i would be happy even if the non drive cup is proud a bit.
  • 2 people to get it out? Pah, I took my bike in and it took three of them to get it out, at the same time. One bracing the frame, one standing on the tool, and one turning it with a 4' extension...

They aren't cowboys, I'd okayed extreme force, it's my 5th bike and the bb needed to come out for new cranks to be fitted.