RF Diabolus DG crank (X-type BB) querie

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited February 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
I need to remove the drive side arm to fit a e13 Taco to my LG1

The arm that is connected to the non-drive side is splined.

Now I understand that you need to remove the fixing cap with a 10mm alan key, then remove the 7mm threaded crank bolt on the drive side

Is it just a case of pulling the arm off then? It's a bit tight so a plastic mallet may be getting used... I just didn't want to balls up a £200+ crankset!!! :oops:

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    No put the fixing cap back and then undo the 7mm and it pulls the arm off.

non drive side should be attached to the axle.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks nick - helpful as ever.. so undoing the 7mm slowly lifts it away from the splined axle?

Must admit, it's on pretty tight!!!!
  • nicklouse
    rf9893.jpg
    you may have to put something into the two small holes if it has been locked on.

Or take it all of and use a crank puller.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Cheers Nick.... things are never straightforward are they lol

When you say 'two small holes' what do you mean? And also, what do you mean by locked on too...

sorry for the dumb-as questions.. :oops:

shimano are so much more simple!! :D
  • nicklouse
    Opps no holes. ( tighten and back off a tad so that you can undo the bolt.)

Err shimano used the same set up for self extracting bolts as do just about every other set up.

thinking older XT XTR etc..
  • Thanks Nick, I did attempt earlier but didn't force the issue.

The 7mm hex bolt comes out pretty easy, so did the fixing cap.

So there I was looking at the end of the axle in the drive side crank arm, bu just couldn't get the arm off......

So, I shall just leave the fixing cap on, undo the 7mm and it 'should' come away from the axle. Might it need some 'persuasion'....... tap with a mallet to get it off?

The bolts go in and out effortlessly, its just the drive-side arm that is a bugger to get off the splined axle

I'll try one more time as I don't have a crank puller yet, if it doesn't work I'll get the LBS to do it..... more money down the drain!! :lol:
  • ha ha,

Well... fixing cap was done on tight. Put the 8mm hex key in and turned (loosened) the bolt as instructed by the directional arrow.

It gave and started to loosen then went tight again, so I tap, tap, tapped away with rubber mallet on hex wrench but wasn't getting anywhere. So..

Just removed the chainring, slid it over the crank arm and fitted the Taco - AFTER ALL OF THAT!

Tricky blighter's those RF cranks.....