Trails and cycle routes (beginners)

mattfefc
mattfefc Posts: 71
edited February 2009 in MTB beginners
Finally got myself a bike.

Is there anywhere on the web to find places to ride.

Mainly looking for off road but not too advanced.

I'm near Essex/Hertfordshire border but will travel.
Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2008

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    We have ride guides on this site, plus forum sections.

Also check the mags for routes.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    mattfefc wrote:
    Is there anywhere on the web to find places to ride.

Get yourself a copy of the Ordnance Survey Explorer Series map covering your area and go exploring.

Bear in mind that you can only legally use public and permissive bridleways, byways and roads (keep of public footpaths - see THIS THREAD(linky) for the whys and wherefores - it's an education!!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Unless you're cycling in Scotland of course. We don't mess about with any of them confusing rules. See a line on the map, go. See a path ahead of you, go, go, go.
  • jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    you only live once! and in many years time you will think back and say to your self "i wish ide gone down that publicpath/forestry commission woods" whats there to loose! go out and dont be limited.... except private land of corse...
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    my website MTB Trail Time has trail centre info for England, Scotland and Wales.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    jadamson wrote:
    you only live once! and in many years time you will think back and say to your self "i wish ide gone down that publicpath/forestry commission woods" whats there to loose! go out and dont be limited.... except private land of corse...

Problem with this kind of attitude tho is the fact that the landowners then shut the land down.... Had an issue like this in the Peak district, erosion really bad on a legal bridleway, and an illegal route round the back of it. Spoke to one of the rangers as the illegal bit is not on a map. And he said if it continued then there was a good chance of access being stopped.... which ruins it for everyone. :(

I'm with Dave Hill on this one and will not ride where I aint supposed to. Something I feel strongly about, because when we do meet Mr Grump the walker (rarely has this happened- 99.9% have been fine :) )Then I can say quite within my rights that "Yes I can and should be riding here" Plus in the Dark Peak, the bridleways and byways are fecking fantastic! I dont need to ride foot paths.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....