Is there any reason to subscribe to the magazines anymore?

gcwebbyuk
gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
I have recently started buying mbuk and what mountain bike again.

My wife hates me buying magazines as they clutter the house so much!

It appears that most of the articles are in zine are also repeated on here.

Is there a way of maybe having a paid area on the site that has ALL of the articles, so that people like me dont need to actually buy the physical magazine, to keep wifey happy, but can still get all the info?

It would also maybe help the environment - possibly.

whadayareckon? 8)

Comments

• gcwebbyuk
    Any thoughts on this - or am I the only one :oops:
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    all im going to say is i cant acsess the internet when im sat on the loo. :shock:
    (dont want to use hte phone as a may drop it. )
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a clue is in the forum name "Discuss the website with the team"
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gcwebbyuk
    nicklouse wrote:
    a clue is in the forum name "Discuss the website with the team"

And that is what I am doing - discussing ways in which the website could be improved???

The website is linked with the magazines is it not?
  • all im going to say is i cant acsess the internet when im sat on the loo. :shock:

That's why we have wi-fi and laptops...

back to your cave troglodyte... :wink:
  • gcwebbyuk
    all im going to say is i cant acsess the internet when im sat on the loo. :shock:

get a laptop - too big to flush down the loo - but still wireless :P

Not saying I do that....
  • Bikerbaboon
    huuumph I could use it as a selling point to the wife to get a new mac book. :lol:
  • gcwebbyuk
  • I wouldn't, the case on my flatmates macbook pro has distorted and popped off abouve the cd drive, mainly because of the noxious gasses when he uses it whilst on the loo...
  • Bikerbaboon
    can any one recomend a light weight lappy that is loo proof? ( or do i need to open a new thread ? )
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Maybe need to subscribe to a different magazine, I believe Singletrack does interent only subscriptions allowing you online access to the mags in PDF form (but you didn't hear it here :wink: ).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • gcwebbyuk
    Thanks for the headsup stumpyjon

Have only bought Singletrack once before - seemed good - the issue I bought was all about bonking!

I subscribe to What MTB, MBUK and MBR - just wish they would do something similar so I dont have piles of magazines everywhere!
  • I couldn,t agree more...
    Also how are the staff going to earn a crust, surely they don't work just to ride really nice new kit and make their mates envious?
    09 Genesis Altitude 20 (853)
    07 Ellsworth Moment.. 2016 transmission
    11 Genesis Croix de Fe (725)
    C20 Orrel 26" (531C)
    16 Dooooone (Calibre) Fatty
    07 Orbit 9531DB0
    WINNER 2011 WMB Gear of the Year..yes folks Mr Averages do win :D
  • gcwebbyuk
    Also how are the staff going to earn a crust, surely they don't work just to ride really nice new kit and make their mates envious?

How do you mean? They would still get paid!
  • I have to say the price of the mag must show some small profit, I think it's good value...
    but surely the largest part of the mags income comes from advertising, and the ads in the mag are I suspect more lucrative..
    Partner suggests this is not the case, says that pay per click links generate
    HUGE sums of money...so maybe web site woud pay for staff wages>
    09 Genesis Altitude 20 (853)
    07 Ellsworth Moment.. 2016 transmission
    11 Genesis Croix de Fe (725)
    C20 Orrel 26" (531C)
    16 Dooooone (Calibre) Fatty
    07 Orbit 9531DB0
    WINNER 2011 WMB Gear of the Year..yes folks Mr Averages do win :D
  • The main attraction with bikeradar is its free and online and has the kind of graphics you'd die for if you could but load that on Linux *some hope)! I'm into Linux too when its too rough in Northumberland to go out and go sliding down a mountainside - arGHHHH!

Northumbrian1
  • Incidentally I succumbed to a subscription to my favourite mag - What Mountainbike through this website since it saves me going to the shop - a good two miles from my home and getting it delivered - yes I know what I said about why have a magazine at all, but old habits die hard and its nice to sit on the loo cooing over the new gear on offer in the mag ;) I don't have a laptop just a hefty webstation - try stradling that across your legs when your heaving and panting with constipation! lol :shock: :roll: :twisted: northumbrian1
  • wilfus
    wilfus Posts: 78
    Check out this link for online versions of MBR and MBUK

http://www.magazinesondemand.co.uk/spor ... egory.html
  • wilfus
    wilfus Posts: 78
    Further to my last. If you want to try the above site for free click on the following link and you get to choose 3 magazines for free. Unfortunately none of the free ones are anything to do with cycling but its still worth trying just as a free trial before paying for a cycling magazine.

http://www.magazinesondemand.co.uk/digital/telegraph/