export from garmin training centre

Moaner
Moaner Posts: 117
I want to export Garmin Edge history from the Garmin Training Centre into something that will let me chart changes to speed, heart rate, cadence etc. over time.
2 questions:
1. GTC will only allow export of an .hst file - how do I convert that into something that can be read by other applications?
2. Once I've done the export I could build the charts use excel, but are there some good charting applications out there that would save me the bother?

Cheers.

Comments

• Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I found the GTC very limited - mind you so is the Edge!

There is a better software package called SportTracks which has this facility (although in a basic format) to chart mileages, pulse rates etc against time.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    ActivityReportsView_Sm.png
    Activity Reports View

The reports view shows your progress over time in a quick glance. At the top, a table shows the distance, time and calories total for the week (or month) in addition to columns showing the average and fastest pace. Below the table is a graph showing the total distance and time for each week, average distance and time per activity, pace and calories.

In this view, you may notice an activity category has been selected to filter what activities are shown. SportTracks allows you to enter as many categories as you like for your activities, summarize by sub-categories, and filter by category. SportTracks will even auto-fill your categories for activities you download or import based on pace.

AthleteView_Sm.png
    Athlete Info View

The athlete info view contains a history of measurements such as weight, body fat percentage, resting and max heart rates, and several other items you can track over time. You can attach photos to dates to keep a record of your weight loss goals, or store event photos from your favorite races.

You can also track activities related to training performance such as calories consumed, hours of sleep, your mood, and whether you were injured, sick, or skipped a workout, and then chart this information over time and relate it to your pace, distance, and other workout data.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • i found multimap works a treat and will read the most recent route off of the edge and display it as a route.

Also on some versions you can do a 3d run through of the route over the terrain. When the Garmin is turned on you will also see your current position, and it is pretty accurate.
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    Cunobelin wrote:
    I found the GTC very limited - mind you so is the Edge!

There is a better software package called SportTracks which has this facility (although in a basic format) to chart mileages, pulse rates etc against time.

+1!
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale