an alternative for the Kinesis racelight tk....please

trevtherev
trevtherev Posts: 372
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
I've waited 6 months for our BTW scheme to start and I was all set to order the Kinesis racelight tk....but would you believe it...the bike is no longer available!!! :twisted: Could anyone suggest an alternative between £500 to £1000. I commute every day along the Bristol to Bath cycle path and want the bike as a training aid for running half marathons ( the bike takes the strain of my joints hence it is a great training tool) The racelight was just what i was after an all year round bike built for winter commutes and summer runs...I await you urgent suggestions ( our BTW is only open for 3 weeks so i need to make my mind up pretty quick ) We have to use a well know CTW provider in Swansea and they can get most bikes...help..... :(

"Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/trevtherev ... 338579801/
www.runningfree.co.uk

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Hi Trev

I think a Condor Fratello might be the ideal bike - its an Italian steel framed audax style bike, has clearance for mudguards, has a comfy geometry, and winter tyres but will be no slouch on faster rides. They have various builds upwards from £899. Condor will modify the spec any way you want. They seem to be keen to work with all cycle to work schemes, so it should be possible to get one.

The Agio is a similar idea but with an alu frame (its 200g lighter but personally I would choose steel).
  • alfablue
    Hi Trev

I think a Condor Fratello might be the ideal bike - its an Italian steel framed audax style bike, has clearance for mudguards, has a comfy geometry, and winter tyres but will be no slouch on faster rides. They have various builds upwards from £899. Condor will modify the spec any way you want. They seem to be keen to work with all cycle to work schemes, so it should be possible to get one.

The Agio is a similar idea but with an alu frame (its 300g lighter but personally I would choose steel).
  • alfablue
    edited February 2009
    forum misbehaving!
  • alfablue imy company use cyclesolutions and it would appear that looking at the condor web site i can get a bike via them...Love the look of it and I would love a steel bike...looks a great replacement for the kinesis racelight tk. I will contact cyclesolutions tomorrow and see how i get on.

www.runningfree.co.uk
  • alfablue
    Good luck!

I am coveting a Condor myself (the Heritage tourer). Already got an audax bike, though the Fratello is much nicer than the Dawes Audax I have. I am fortunate in that my employer's scheme is open all the time, and in September I can get my second bike.
  • I have a Racelight TK, and it's nowhere as good - or good value - as the Quest Training bike it replaced:

http://www.questbikes.co.uk/acatalog/Qu ... ducts.html

ignore the price of the frame, it's worthy of 105 specced kit.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Surosa audax or alternatively there is a new frame available from Ambrosio to replace the Guido, which was also a pretty good value winter trainer. Failing that, the Ridgeback Horizon is also well worth a look...
  • so much for getting a condor on the BTW scheme....it seems that cycle solutions do not deal with condor even though there name appears on the condor site. I need to choose a bike from the wheelies site at wheelies.co.uk and my leanings are now towards a specialized allez elite...great write up totally different from the kinesis or condor but it looks a fantastic bike to get fit on. Dropped into a specialized dealer today and now know i am a 52cm ( as I thought ) i'm sure there are lots of allez owners out there...need to get the order in within the next week. A close second to the allez would be the defy 1...but i think the allez is the winner...any other advice before i put my order in?...thanks all..and thanks for the recommendation alfablue...would love a condor but not on the scheme

www.runningfree.co.uk
  • Not tempted by a Tricross Sport?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • alfablue
    Sorry to hear that Trev - have you tried talking to Condor to see what they say (they may have previous customers that have set a precedent with that company, and may know the best contacts).

Allez would be nice, just a different type of bike.
  • When I tried the allez in central Bristol today the 54cm was too big and therefore opted for the 52cm...on the specialized web site the geometry of the top tube is 53.7cm compared with my size on the defy 1 which is 54.5cm. Am i correct in thinking this diff is due to the more relaxed postion on the allez and unusual angle of the top tube? The sizes of the top tubes do confuse me i presume the only really correct way to check what is right for you is to sit on the bike. As i said in shop i found the 54cm too big the only 52cm in the shop was a tricoss sport and it felt much better so i came to the conclusion that the 52cm in the allez elite was my size. I hope this isn't too confusing but the stretch along the top tube is crucial.

www.runningfree.co.uk