SRAM pronunciation

bazbadger
bazbadger Posts: 553
edited February 2009 in The bottom bracket
just a thought.

I find SRAM tricky to pronounce correctly, but if one adopts a Sean Connery voice it becomes deceptively easy.

So, if you find yourself in the local LBS and having to plump for campag because you can't say SRAM then just adopt this new method and you'll be fine, and double tapping in no time at all...
Mens agitat molem

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    I don't have problems saying SRAM, but I still buy Campag
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Thank God for inventing the Internet, where you don't have to be able to pronounce anything at all. Just don't leave out an apostrophe out of a post or its Hades for you :twisted:
  • I pronounce it SRAM, but I have heard some people call it SRAM and even SRAM at times, but I just stick with SRAM as it's easier to pronounce for me. I hope that's helped.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Someone at the weekend pronounced it as ess-ram, which I'll admit was a new one on me.

I'm not saying they're wrong, but I'd always assumed it was sss-ram.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I always thought it was "ESS-RAM", but a mate pronounces it as "SHRAM" ???
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Tempestas wrote:
    I pronounce it SRAM, but I have heard some people call it SRAM and even SRAM at times, but I just stick with SRAM as it's easier to pronounce for me. I hope that's helped.

:lol:
  • components are pronounced CAM-PAG-NOLO

everyone know this
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Watched a video on their website, and the guy talking pronounced it sss-ram.

Liking the Sean Connery idea though, I'm looking at maybe buying the "shram" Red equipped Felt F3 at the weekend, and now any potential blushes will be shpared.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    SchRAM.

Wouldn't SSS-RAMbe βRAM?

I can't rmember German well enough, but most words I remember starting with S, sounded like Sch, though I think they all were Sh---
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Someone at the weekend pronounced it as ess-ram, which I'll admit was a new one on me.

I'm not saying they're wrong, but I'd always assumed it was sss-ram.

I say both ess-ram and Shram depending on my mood...
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    components are pronounced CAM-PAG-NOLO

everyone know this
    Er, no. The G is soft. It's pronounced CAMPAN-YOLO.
  • I'm a Shimano man myself,

Only 'cos there's no debate/confusion over how it's pronounced thus avoiding the embarassment of making myself sound a right tit when mis-pronouncing SRAM or Campagnolo. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    I'm a Shimano man myself,

Only 'cos there's no debate/confusion over how it's pronounced thus avoiding the embarassment of making myself sound a right tit when mis-pronouncing SRAM or Campagnolo. :wink:
    SHIH-MAN-OH or SHIH-MARN-OH?
  • SHIM ARNO. :D
    Tail end Charlie

• Elganesh
    Elganesh Posts: 143
    SHY - MAR - NO :lol:
    FCN = 4.5 Roadie, hairy legs, half a beard (say goateeeeee!)
  • ESS-RAM

CAM-PAG (hate the USA version of CAMPY :x )

SHI-MAR-NO
    AT MY AGE, I SHOULD KNOW BETTER !!!
  • whyamihere wrote:
    components are pronounced CAM-PAG-NOLO

everyone know this
    Er, no. The G is soft. It's pronounced CAMPAN-YOLO.

i know

my G was silent :D
  • I'm a Shimano man myself,

Your a Shy mano? Find a good bike to ride and that will cure your shyness. :lol:
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    For me...

Shimano = Shi ma no (99.9% sure that's correct in Japanese)

Can anyone pronounce Campagnolo with a silent G and not put on a fake Italian accent?

Definantely a Sean Connery impersonator on SRAM, but pretty sure I copied David Harmon on that one!
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • Shimano

Shold be pronounced according to the rules of romaji as Shee mah naw buts said with short clipped vowels (else it would be spelt shiimaanoo)
  • No, there is still no "real debate" to be taken over the pronunciation of Shimano.

If everyone else on this website wishes to have one, get on with it. I know where I stand thanks. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

• feel
    feel Posts: 800
    I thought it was SHIM- A- NO, but my mate pronounces it ESS - HIM - AN - OH :wink:
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • shimanos pronounced FEE-SHING TAH-KEL
  • mwo
    mwo Posts: 57
    shimanos pronounced FEE-SHING TAH-KEL
    :lol:
  • this pronunciation issue is really quite serious.

For example, Fiat lost out big time. A chap in a dealership wants to buy a Cinquincento... "i'd like to buy a sequin.... sequin..... oh forget it, give us a Punto"

But it looks like Sean has saved the day for cyclists who want to double tap on the drops... none of this changing gear with your thumb business - I mean - c'mon.... :lol:
    Mens agitat molem
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    I thought Shimano Was pronounced "SH1T MAN, NO!"?
  • Kenjaja1
    Kenjaja1 Posts: 744
    This is all very very silly :roll: Mr Sean Connery don't know nuffink about bikes! I have seen him in his various roles travelling in fast cars, slow cars, aeroplanes (commercial & military), space rockets, backpack rockets, motor bikes, power boats, smowmobiles, skis, helicoptors and lots of other carbon very unneutral modes of transport. however I have never seen him on a bicycle. How would he satisfy the lust in his loins (as he does in all his films) with a beautiful ample bosomed lady on a bicycle? I cannot believe that he even knows how to ride a bicycle, so how can he possibly be held up as an authority on the pronunciation of Campag, SRAM or even Shimano?

Unless any of you can post pictures of Sean Connery making the beast with two backs while sitting on a Brooks Swallow or a Blackburn carrier then he has no credibility in this field.

The real question is not how one should pronounce "SRAM" or "Shimano" so much as "Why would anyone want to?". If you go to a good LBS (pronounced "LBS"). They should automatically supply you with Campagnola (however you say it) when asking for the part.

If I have offended any heretics who do not use Campag gear then Good!
    If I have offended any beautiful, ample bosomed ladies then I'd welcome the chance to make it up to you :lol: .
    If there is anyone I have not offended then, do not worry, I'll get around to it :twisted:
  • They should automatically supply you with Campagnola (however you say it) when asking for the part.

I thought Campagnola was a peculiar shade of paint....

you live and learn.
    Mens agitat molem
  • bazbadger wrote:
    this pronunciation issue is really quite serious.

For example, Fiat lost out big time. A chap in a dealership wants to buy a Cinquincento... "i'd like to buy a sequin.... sequin..... oh forget it, give us a Punto"

nah, dealer's done alright. the punto is a bigger, more expensive car than the cinquecento (chin-kway-chen-toe)
    riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…