new tyres

mountainroadie
mountainroadie Posts: 244
edited March 2009 in XC and Enduro
my conti speed king world cups are wearing out can anyone recomend good LIGHT but grippy tyres [ :) ]trek elite 9.9

Comments

• Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Don't know how light michelin mountain dry 2s are, but they look fast. can't you get more contis :?:
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • i just got a new set off ebay and just checked there r 6 left.
    onza porcupines , soft , grippy , and only 560g. good old school tyres
    and a bargin at 15.99 + £7P&P PER PAIR
    thought they may just fit the bill, rather light . good for the uk's gloopy conditions. not for tarmac though as you will go through em quicker than paper underpants :D
    Rocky-M-Slayer.
  • fancy a change from the tyres i have they are more for the summer back slids out anyone got an opinion on schwalbe tyres
  • tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    I've got Nobby Nic and racing ralph on my bike at mo, great tyres, in summer I stick Ralph on both ends and the bike rolls really well
  • SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    Nobby Nic's are great, fast all rounders. Albert's and Smart Sam's are the cheaper versions of the Nobby Nic\Racing Ralph combination, they're also by Schwalbe and I've used both combinations....the cheaper combo is good for a training tyre as it's harder wearing.
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • thanks for the comments i am gonna try a nobby nic on the rear and a furious fred up front :P
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    That sounds a bit backwards, wouldn't you want at least an equally if not more grippy tyre on the front? Hence people running Nics on the front, Ralphs on the back.
  • daveb
    daveb Posts: 4,137
    I agree with Toasty - grippy tyre up front faster tyre on the back.
    Daveb
  • SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    Hmm, not sure I would go with that combo unless I was riding on a very dry surface with no loose stuff where the front tyre would give me tons of grip, yet I needed traction on the back wheel for the loose surface on the climbs...make sense? No, seems like bad maths to me :P

Unless you know something we don't I'd rethink your strategy :)
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • hubba
    hubba Posts: 238
    Ok i'll put my five pence worth in, the best tyres i've had for the winter months for both good rolling speed and great grip in the xc muddy conditions are a pair of.......

Bonty Jones Mud-X 2.0 tyres, really cannot fault them, foldable tyres great all rounder tyre and shed's md really quickly..

not had any problem with spinning up on rear, and plenty of grip on the front..., cost around £30 each is the downside but worth it..
    Cube Sl Road for sale
    wanted Steel or titanium Touring / audax / sportif frame or complete bike.
  • mmmm the bonty mud-x do get good reviews in mags . but in reply to toasty the back end is where i am loosing grip hence the nobby nic if i put a furious fred on the back i would be sliding all over the place . maybe if i lived in california i"d put furious freds on both but i live in scotland where you get 4 seasons in one day 8)
  • maybe i should rethink the furious fred on the front though ...... any suggestions :roll:
  • zeroseven
    zeroseven Posts: 347
    Why not combine a 2,1 and a 2.4?

Fat back for drive, switch it to the front for turns
  • TonyWard
    TonyWard Posts: 149
    zeroseven wrote:
    Why not combine a 2,1 and a 2.4?

Fat back for drive, switch it to the front for turns

Would be a bit boring having to change tyres everytime you cam to a bend though :lol:
  • zeroseven
    zeroseven Posts: 347
    TonyWard wrote:

Would be a bit boring having to change tyres everytime you cam to a bend though :lol:

Get good at tyre swinging quick though wouldn't you........
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    Panaracer fire xc pros or Maxxis ignitors are both good all round tyres and both are light and not too expensive. Used them both on my old Rockhopper and they work a treat. Got Specialized the captains on at the mo (came with stumpy) and they are good in the dry only really. If they touch anything remotly wet then they clog and become very sketchy!
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • hubba
    hubba Posts: 238
    well i use those bonty mud x's on front and back which are both only 2.0 wide and i've not had any problems with grip, been out every week most times twice a week in the mud and on road since sep last year, thing is these tyres are quite smooth on the road too which is a bonus...

i've had various tyres on the past from panracer to mountain kings, conti's, swarbe etc.. these bonty's just knock everything off the top notch you won't be dissapointed...
    Cube Sl Road for sale
    wanted Steel or titanium Touring / audax / sportif frame or complete bike.
  • just got a set of racing ralphs and conti supersonic tubes will let youz now how i get on :P