Achilles Tendon pain?

manick0de
manick0de Posts: 202
I get Achilles Tendon pain mainly off the bike after a ride. Been looking online and some sites say that having the saddle too high is the cause and others say that having it too low.

I've already excluded cleat position as a possible cause.

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Not sure I can answer saddle height issue, but check that the achilles "protector" (the heel tab of your shoes) is not digging in, and don't slog in big gears. Don't want to worry you but this could result in a rupture in the worst case scenario.
  • binlinus
    binlinus Posts: 305
    manick0de wrote:
    I get Achilles Tendon pain mainly off the bike after a ride. Been looking online and some sites say that having the saddle too high is the cause and others say that having it too low.

I've already excluded cleat position as a possible cause.

It could be any number of things. Even wearing overshoes can cause it (a bursa can come up and cause pain). If you have a tendency to over-pronate or over-supinate (think that';s what it's called) it can cause the tendon to twist.

Best to consult a physio for an assessment. I had achillies probs and a physio after some special exercises (and a lot of painful massage) fixed it over a month or so. Never had problems since (except for the overshoes causing my foot to swell and rub).

How did you exclude the cleat position?

Bin
  • Are your hamstrings or calves tight?