Recommend me a chain tool

simon74
simon74 Posts: 26
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Can you recommend a good chain tool that will do 9 and 10 speed chains please?

Comments

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    My pedros multi tool seems to do the job OK.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    workshop or portable?

for the latter the Park CT-5 tool is good, I find.

For the workshop tool I'm in the same boat myself, so would be interested to hear any ideas. On my short list are Park, Pedros, Shimano and the HubJub one.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    maddog 2 wrote:
    workshop or portable?

for the latter the Park CT-5 tool is good, I find.

For the workshop tool I'm in the same boat myself, so would be interested to hear any ideas. On my short list are Park, Pedros, Shimano and the HubJub one.

I had been using my Pedro's multi tool for my shop chain tool simply because I hadn't got around to buying a good shop tool. Worked OK, if a bit hard to hang onto and it felt like it was going to break just before the pin started moving. Bought a "real" one, you know, a larger
    actual tool. Much easier than the portable ones.

Dennis Noward
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    The larger ones do feel a bit more solid than the portable ones all right. I have a cheap Lifeline one from Wiggle and it works great, I've used it on everything from 7 speed to 10 speed and 1/8" single speed chains.
  • Park CT 5 for 7 - 10 speed chains, or the CT 7 for singlespeed chains. I have both, and both are excellent.

Park for quality! 8)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • iwantblue
    iwantblue Posts: 134
    another ++ for the CT5.... for up to 10-speed, whilst its a trail tool, I'd happily have it as a workshop tool, I find it effortless...
    on that basis I'd try the new CT3.2 for 11-speed chain, apart from Campy apparently, that needs another peening tool...
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    My Birzman one has lasted two years of graft so far and was under £10
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy