splitting inner tubes

mikee1979
mikee1979 Posts: 151
edited February 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got a problem with inner tubes that have effected both my bikes. Being cursed as the most unluckiest person for punctures, (I'm pretty much guaranteed to get one very time I go out) means that my tyres are constantly being taken off. What seems to happen now is I'll be riding along an my inner tubes will split by the valve rendering the tube useless. It started on my hardtaill which were schrader valve tubes and you can see that the tube is being twisted round as the valve is at 45degree angle. After awhile it twisted so much it splits. I bought new tyres and it seemed to stop it. It's now happening to my other bike which are presta valve and the tubes are splitting again. Buying new tyres may solve the problem but my tyres are no way near the end of their life and I can't afford to keep buying new tyres. Has this happend to anyone before, and is there a way to fix it cheaply?

Comments

• ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Tyres slipping on the rim by the sounds of it, try rubbing the inside of the rim (where the bead fits) with a fine (ish) wet and dry/ sandpaper, may help as the slightly rougher surface will grip better when inflated.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Check the valve hole for sharp edges, a little duck tape round the hole helps too. Put a bit more air in your tyres as that'll prevent them moving.
  • what tubes are you using?
  • Cheers for the advice, I may well give the sandpaper a try as hopefully that will get the tyres bead to grip better (fingers crossed!).
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Would these be Kenda tubes by any chance??.
  • I'm using just plain old Halfords Tubes. The Tyres that it's happend on were Panaracer Fire XC and Panaracer Trailraker. The Fire XC tyres were getting pretty old but the Trailrakers are not that old and I only use them Winter/Autumn.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Ah ok. Its just that I had a similar problem with a batch of Kenda tubes that I bought. I have not had the issue since. Also it might worthwhile applying some talcum powder to the insides of the tyre before fitting the tube. It helps to prevent the innertube sticking to the tyre and lowers rolling resistance (alledgedly).
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    mikee1979 wrote:
    Has this happend to anyone before, and is there a way to fix it cheaply?
    Coat the inside of the tyre with talcum powder. This stops the tube sticking to the tyre. You may have to repeat this from time-to-time depending on the amount of water your ride through, how much gets inside the rims and how many skids you do :wink:
  • Talcum powder!, that sounds a good idea, will give it a go. Cheers for the help.
  • Talcum powder!, that sounds a good idea, will give it a go. Cheers for the help.