653!

meagain
meagain Posts: 2,331
edited February 2009 in Road general
Not exactly a died-in-the-wool steel is the ONLY frame material supporter, but my newly returned to full XT spec (the model WAS Synthesis XT 653) Dawes c.1997 really does roll along very nicely! And it LOOKS the business.
For once I took my time building it and buying the bits - I have even already built an extra set of (summer) wheels for it!

Syn276.jpg

Syn271.jpg

Syn273.jpg
d.j.
"Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."

Comments

• bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Ha ....Dave , it's got gears?

nice machine.
    bagpuss
  • meagain
    Not much gets past you eh Paul?!!! :shock: :):lol:

I'm starting to feel my age I fear - I know many folk carry on fixing far older than I, but 50 years of fags and the 30 years or so during which I did no pedalling seem to be catching up rather worryingly fast (unlike me!).

And you know I don't like to ride anything if there's chance that I might see an identical one...
    d.j.
  • Dickie
    Dickie Posts: 1,489
    That is a serious tourer, lovely. Note to self I must take some pics of my Cross check, I've had it for well over a year!
  • meagain
    Thank you, Rob! The frame/forks certainly seem to have all the right bits - and I'm really quite pleased with how I've put it back together. Condition of the frame a credit to former owner.
    Rather shudder to think what it's cost me - but at slightly less than half a grand net (with two sets of wheels) I don't suppose you could get similar quality today for less than double that. Probably have to have a frame specially built!
    d.j.
  • meagain
    Thank you, Rob! The frame/forks certainly seem to have all the right bits - and I'm really quite pleased with how I've put it back together. Condition of the frame a credit to former owner.
    Rather shudder to think what it's cost me - but at slightly less than half a grand net (with two sets of wheels) I don't suppose you could get similar quality today for less than double that. Probably have to have a frame specially built!
    d.j.