Converting non-disk frame to disk and other questions

v23
v23 Posts: 217
edited February 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
I think this question has probably been asked a fair few times, but I can't find a suitable answer using search.

I'm considering doing some stuff to my old 99 bonty frame. One of these being converting it to disk, has anyone successfully converted an old non-disk steel frame to disk, if so how easy was it and at what price?

I'm also probably going to have it resprayed, would I need to get the BB faced?

And singlespeeded, is it possible to do this on a vertical dropout frame without, what I consider, the messy tensioner?

Thanks.

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    v23 wrote:
    I'm considering doing some stuff to my old 99 bonty frame. One of these being converting it to disk, has anyone successfully converted an old non-disk steel frame to disk, if so how easy was it and at what price?
    None of my business, but I wonder why you want to use discs ? I run XTR V-brakes on my '96 Proflex and they are outstanding - massive bite, rock-solid feel, hugely progressive and apart from the occasional set of M70R2 pads they require no maintenance. OK the disc brakes on my other bikes are ultimately more powerful but I always think they are a solution to a problem that didn't exist. Just my 2p.
  • v23
    To be honest it's for the look more than anything, and to know whether it's feasible.
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    Not really. The frame is designed to take the loads presented by discs. Plus its be a pig of a job, and not alot of people would haver the tools/inclination to do it.

Yes. Just makes sense.

No. But saying that, Im sure someone will suggest some crazy device that will allow you too.
    i ride a hardtail
  • Talking of crazy devices... :lol: DM-UNI from a2z will convert your back end discs

http://www.a2zcomponents.com/ada.htm and look under "Others"
    As an internet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or cycling helmets approaches one
  • argos racing will do the entire job, replace dropouts and respray.

not cheap though.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Why got to all that hassle and expense on an old frame when Merlin have a 40% discount on Rock Lobster and Merlin frames, all of which are disc ready. The malt 1 frame can be had for £84 which really is pocket money while a Lobster alloy frame is reduced to £180 which is a steal for such a high quality frame.
  • v23
    jayson wrote:
    Why got to all that hassle and expense on an old frame when Merlin have a 40% discount on Rock Lobster and Merlin frames, all of which are disc ready. The malt 1 frame can be had for £84 which really is pocket money while a Lobster alloy frame is reduced to £180 which is a steal for such a high quality frame.

Because I've had the frame for 10 years, I really like it. It's effectively a classic, I'd just like to show it a bit of TLC and bring it a bit more up to date.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    v23

can you take a picture of the "disc" side drop out plöease.

So that i can see an inch or two of the chain and seat stay as well as the drop out.

cheers.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown