Advice please

shae
shae Posts: 105
edited February 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
I just got a GT Aggressor XCr from ebay, howwever it is branddfire new. Being an XCR it has been built by Halfords. Should I take it to my LBS for a one over ? Also it has an AIr fork ( as opposed to what ?) and do i need to get it set correctly for myself as i am 18st ? I have zero bike knowledge BTW !!!!!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    All bikes need periodic adjustment, maintenance and cleaning, so I would this time take it to a shop and have it set over, and ask about basic tools and guides.

Air forks require a pump to set to your weight ie the amount it sags. No set figure, have to measure it usually whatever pressure it takes until it moves to a quarter of its travel when you are stood on the bike. Manuals are downloadable from the web. Coil forks are more usually found in this price bracket and to be honest this is what I thought it had!
  • shae
    shae Posts: 105
    supersonic wrote:
    All bikes need periodic adjustment, maintenance and cleaning, so I would this time take it to a shop and have it set over, and ask about basic tools and guides.

Air forks require a pump to set to your weight ie the amount it sags. No set figure, have to measure it usually whatever pressure it takes until it moves to a quarter of its travel when you are stood on the bike. Manuals are downloadable from the web. Coil forks are more usually found in this price bracket and to be honest this is what I thought it had!

this is the spec# Brake Type: Hydraulic Disc
    # Chainset: Truvativ Firex 3.1 chainset with GXP BB
    # Exact Frame Size: 16"
    # Forks: Marzocchi 44TST2, 140mm travel, 15mm axle, adj rebound & lock-out
    # Frame Colour: White and Gunmetal
    # Frame-: Superlight GT Triple Triangle frame, hydroformed & butted tubing
    # Front Brake: Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes, 185mm rotors
    # Front Mech: Shimano Deore
    # Gear Shifters: Shimano Deore Rapid Fire
    # Handle Bars: GT oversize handlebar
    # Headset: GT Alloy
    # Hubs: Formula dc20/e37
    # Number of Gears: 27
    # Pedals: Classic Cage with Toe Clips
    # Quick Release Wheels: Yes
    # Rear Brake: Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes 160mm rotors
    # Rear Mech: Shimano XT Shadow
    # Rear Shock: NA
    # Rims: Alex DP20 disc rims
    # Saddle: SDG Bel Air saddle
    # Seatpost: Alloy Black
    # Stem: GT Oversized
    # Tyre size: 2.3"
    # Tyres: Maxxis Ignitor
    # Wheel size: 26"
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You will need a low pressure shock pump for that fork. (ie a guage that reads lower numbers accurately)

Manual is available from the Marzocchi website.