Time Pedals

Yorkiand
Yorkiand Posts: 35
edited February 2009 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for some Time pedals and have narrowed my search down to the Time RXS.

However looking on wiggle there's the Time RXS Road Pedals at £73.10 and weighing 265g

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Time_ ... 360015200/

There's also the Time RXS First Road Pedals at £46.67 and weighing 260g

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Time_ ... 360039899/

I'm in a dilema! The second pedal is nearly £30 cheaper and it's also a fraction lighter. So why is it so much cheaper?

Help please!

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    i know what you mean as I was looking for a set of RSX too - and noticed the 'first' pedals were cheaper and lighter.

I already have a set of the Xen pedals which are great - love the float - but the base model pedals look really really cheap! - i got them to try the time float things and now that I like it I will get some decent RSXs

When the Xens arrived at my work a non-cycling mate came in and said "oh they look cool - how do they work?" - he was closely followed by a fellow cyclist colleague who said immediately " you're not putting them on your roubaix are you??" This was said in horror as they really were the cheapest nastiest looking pedals EVER!

I'd imagine that the RXS first pedals have a similar cheapo look and feel to them!

few months back everyone was discounting the base RXS to around £55 (merlin cycles are still showing them at £55 too but have no stock) - but now everone seems to have them at £70+

up to you mate - personally I think that the red std RXS look great so i'll probably go for them - but you pays your money - you takes your chances..
  • Thanks for the reply gkerr4.

It looks like I'll go for the dearer set then.........I think.
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    £30 extra for pedal paint? Nah not worth it. Might just be a flattering photo but I think the RXS First look more like the RXS Carbon which are quite bling.

gkerr4 you have any trouble clipping into the Xens? I'm not joking it took me over a mile to get clipped in this morning. They are 6 months old and just seem to be getting worse. One pedal is fine but the other is a right tight git. Know how to loosen them?

Tempted to chuck the Xens and get a pair of RXS First myself.
  • gkerr4
    Shmo wrote:
    £30 extra for pedal paint? Nah not worth it. Might just be a flattering photo but I think the RXS First look more like the RXS Carbon which are quite bling.

gkerr4 you have any trouble clipping into the Xens? I'm not joking it took me over a mile to get clipped in this morning. They are 6 months old and just seem to be getting worse. One pedal is fine but the other is a right tight git. Know how to loosen them?

Tempted to chuck the Xens and get a pair of RXS First myself.

i know what you mean - they aren't the easiest to get into - no problem to get out of mind, but clipping in can sometimes be a chore.

i don't think it gets easier with time either - you seem to get the 'knack' of it and then - like you this morning - just get a session where you can't get into the bloody things! - I think that the RXS are the same - they use the same cleats anyway!

Worth it once you are in them though - i wouldn't use any other pedal now - I came from SPD-SL but the times are just so much more comfortable in use. (althoguh the SPD-SL - even the 105 models - look a million bucks while the Xens look like the fell out of a cheap christmas cracker!)
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    this may or may not be useful info......I run Time RXS carbons having previously run Look. I find it easier to clip into the Time system if you push your foot down vertically once you have located the front of the cleat. If you try pushing down and forward (which is normal while pedalling) it doesn't work nearly as well..
  • gkerr4
    sorry - a little off topic

softlad - how would you rate the finish of the RXS carbons? - are they well put together and finished? how are they lasting you (how long have you had them) - what made you buy them over the std ones and do you think they are worth it?

Thanks,

(sorry for so many questions)
  • softlad
    gkerr4 wrote:

softlad - how would you rate the finish of the RXS carbons? - are they well put together and finished? how are they lasting you (how long have you had them) - what made you buy them over the std ones and do you think they are worth it?

I've had mine for about 6 months or so. I bought them off ebay for a very good price and to be honest, that's the only reason I bought the carbons. Aside from about 5g weight saving, and a claimed increase in strength, there isn't really that much else going for them over the standard RXS, which I would have bought otherwise. The finish is a kind of dull grey - not painted as such as the colour is in the moulding process, so they never looked that good to start with ;)

They are scuffing a bit on the float surface, but that is to be expected. Are they worth it? yes, because they are excellent functional pedals. Would I pay full whack for the carbons if I was buying new? - no, probably not. The standard pedals are almost identical in weight for quite a few quid less.

Hope that helps :)
  • gkerr4
    yeah - that does help - thanks.

If youd have said " oh yes they are an engineering marvel, weigh bugger all, beautifully finished, look amazing" etc then I would have considered the extra for them.

as it is - i'll get the std ones - in red maybe...

thanks,
    Graham
  • softlad
    gkerr4 wrote:

If youd have said " oh yes they are an engineering marvel, weigh bugger all, beautifully finished, look amazing" etc then I would have considered the extra for them.

I think there are some extra stickers on the carbons.. ;)

Realistically, the standard pedals are light enough and perform just as well. For even more gratuitous weight saving, you could buy the Ti axle versions, but they are serious money....
  • gkerr4
    yes - the "ulteam Ti" - very smart looking and I believe they are actually quite a reduction in weight

a lot of cash though!
  • I have ended up ordering the RXS Edge pedals from wiggle. At £58 they were between the RXS First and Standard RXS in terms of price.

I also put "wiggle discount vouchers" into google and got £5 off by signing up to their newsletter (I wasn't even sure whether I'd previously signed up as I get plenty of emails from them, but it worked anyway).
  • I put som chain wax (Rock & Roll Red) on my pedals , every now and then .
    Seems to make entry a bit easier.

Gets easier with time????
    I have been using Time since the 80's and they still are a bugger every now and then. At the moment using RXE and RXS